Thread: New here and looking for tips on books and other sources

Help New here and looking for tips on books and other sources

Hi, Id like to buy some book on map creating, be it fantasy or medieval style, I love both. The thing is, I do not have pc at the very moment to my disposal, and will have in the summer, so meanwhile Im mainly using borrowed laptop and cant install software on it, so my tools would be different not digital craft, in future Id like to buy graphic tablet. For now, Id like to use different technique and thats what I want to discuss here, for example I do have high quality inks, some Sakura markers, maybe Ill find Tombow markers when I search properly, I can also buy some different tools for drawing other thing is usage of different materials, I think the only or popular is leather, right or is there other atractive material I could use than leather? Maybe that would been better from financial perspective as the utility knife for carving into leather is bit pricey I guess around or over 100 USD, but...non or less I could invest it. I will see, what You guys suggest and recommend me to try, I love to experiment with various tools, love crafting and all things medieval and fantasy. I also do have a calligraphy pen set, Im beginner in calligraphy, but would love to learn as some calligraphy art on maps may also look good, maybe You can point me to some book that might combine these techniques of art, Im not too much into playing, but the actual crafting is very very attractive to me, and as I mentioned before Im into medieval stuff and love everything fantasy related, be it painting miniatures, watching game of thrones or larping. I wonder, Id like to start with the maps, but I cant do digital for now, could You help me with a list of supplies I may get of lets say 150-300 USD, wouldnt like to invest more at the very moment, as after Christmas Im little bit low on cash. If You also sugggest someone to follow on instagram, who is into this stuff medieval, fantasy maps etc, youtube channels to look for and last but not least, one nice book to buy for inspiration, The Jared's book on Fantasy Mapmaking is sold out here, so maybe there are other ones You recommend, must wait for restock, because will definitely buy in future, have heard only good about the book. Concerning map and dungeon making, the tools and supplies, Ill be happy to see some comments, I cant so far view DMs if Im not mistaken as a new member. Thanks to everyone and Happy New Year

Quote Originally Posted by JimboXL View Post
    Hi, Id like to buy some book on map creating, be it fantasy or medieval style, I love both. The thing is, I do not have pc at the very moment to my disposal, and will have in the summer, so meanwhile Im mainly using borrowed laptop and cant install software on it, so my tools would be different not digital craft, in future Id like to buy graphic tablet. For now, Id like to use different technique and thats what I want to discuss here, for example I do have high quality inks, some Sakura markers, maybe Ill find Tombow markers when I search properly, I can also buy some different tools for drawing other thing is usage of different materials, I think the only or popular is leather, right or is there other atractive material I could use than leather? Maybe that would been better from financial perspective as the utility knife for carving into leather is bit pricey I guess around or over 100 USD, but...non or less I could invest it. I will see, what You guys suggest and recommend me to try, I love to experiment with various tools, love crafting and all things medieval and fantasy. I also do have a calligraphy pen set, Im beginner in calligraphy, but would love to learn as some calligraphy art on maps may also look good, maybe You can point me to some book that might combine these techniques of art, Im not too much into playing, but the actual crafting is very very attractive to me, and as I mentioned before Im into medieval stuff and love everything fantasy related, be it painting miniatures, watching game of thrones or larping. I wonder, Id like to start with the maps, but I cant do digital for now, could You help me with a list of supplies I may get of lets say 150-300 USD, wouldnt like to invest more at the very moment, as after Christmas Im little bit low on cash. If You also sugggest someone to follow on instagram, who is into this stuff medieval, fantasy maps etc, youtube channels to look for and last but not least, one nice book to buy for inspiration, The Jared's book on Fantasy Mapmaking is sold out here, so maybe there are other ones You recommend, must wait for restock, because will definitely buy in future, have heard only good about the book. Concerning map and dungeon making, the tools and supplies, Ill be happy to see some comments, I cant so far view DMs if Im not mistaken as a new member. Thanks to everyone and Happy New Year
    I'm not the best source on traditional supplies (I draw digitally) but I would second the recommendation of Jared Blando's mapping book. If you want some free online tutorials, I would check out mapeffects.com by Josh Stolarz, www.fantasticmaps.com by Jonathan Roberts, DimensionDoor on Instagram, and MapsbyOwen and FantasyCartography on Youtube. Not to mention the plentiful excellent tutorials here on the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
    I'm not the best source on traditional supplies (I draw digitally) but I would second the recommendation of Jared Blando's mapping book. If you want some free online tutorials, I would check out mapeffects.com by Josh Stolarz, www.fantasticmaps.com by Jonathan Roberts, DimensionDoor on Instagram, and MapsbyOwen and FantasyCartography on Youtube. Not to mention the plentiful excellent tutorials here on the forums.
    Hi and thank you very much, Im new so things are not easy, but I will continuously learn from tutorials and books, ordered Blandos book, but looking for more, be it medieval or fantasy books, Im especially interested in dungeons when it comes to DnD, so any artist, youtuber or resources on books will be great if you put in comments guys, I will be greatful for any source of information on traditional art, not digital for now. Im also interested for example in old style of maps of treasures kinda in a pirate way if Im putting it well, due to my limited English skills, but I hope stuff I talk about is clear, maybe wooden, leather maps, but what I really need is a source of info as I mentioned, specifically Im book collector, thats maybe what still holds my interest more to have the nice limited edition on the shelf rather than in digital form, though that is probably easier to obtain and much more comfortable, Im kinda old fashioned maybe. Any informations how to create such maps, materials, tools, what to study and learn all this stuff will be very useful to improve my skills and techniques, Im interested in calligraphy and its my big hobby especially blacklettering, gothic styles like bastarda etc, I think its also art that would have some usage in cartography, specificaly maybe maps in pirate style or medieval maps, these attracts me beside the DnD dungeon creation most, not traditional materials to work with, I think its also a matter of experimenting, but to have some tutorials its extremely useful for a beginner, I start small bought some UNI set of fineliners, because Pigma micron wasnt in stock, so Im sure it can make work done and brand of liners isnt that important, from what Iv seen as a review they should be pretty decent. Have a great New Year guys, looking forward for comments

thank you very much, it really helped me, if You guys have more suggestions, anything interesting would been great, so far watched the Owens maps and the channel is really helpful.

Thank you very much, I already replied twice, but it doesnt seem to appear, aswell as another posts I did, using the Tapatalk for the very first time. I tried on laptop, but maybe there is some confirmation of mods needed, just want to say thanks and discuss more, but even my replies to other threads doesnt appear.

Odesláno z mého Redmi Note 8T pomocí Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JimboXL View Post
    Thank you very much, I already replied twice, but it doesnt seem to appear, aswell as another posts I did, using the Tapatalk for the very first time. I tried on laptop, but maybe there is some confirmation of mods needed, just want to say thanks and discuss more, but even my replies to other threads doesnt appear.
    Hi Jimbo, when you're new to the forum all your posts will be hidden until approved by a moderator and due to the holiday period there don't seem to be many of us around at the moment. You've now made more than 5 approved posts, so your comments should go live immediately without the need for moderator approval.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

In regards to your query on resources, the books and creators that Turambar pointed out are some of the best that I'm aware of for mapping specific stuff. On the YouTube side, WASD20 has some map-making videos for the beginner-level mapmaker but again there isn't heaps there that I'm aware of which specifically focus on maps (I've toyed around with the idea of having a go at creating videos myself but don't have the available free time right now). I would recommend getting stuck in and making some maps yourself, then posting here for feedback. Competing in our map making challenges can also be a good way to push yourself and is one way I improved my skills. I would also take a look through the finished map thumbnails subpage of the finished maps forum, find art you like from other map makers and try to replicate it or incorporate elements into your own work.

On the side of improving the realism of your maps and world building I've always found this medieval demographics made easy document to be a great resource.

It's great to hear you are so excited about map making though and I look forward to seeing your work on the forums.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.