Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *** January/February 2024 Challenge: Before & After ***

Default *** January/February 2024 Challenge: Before & After ***

We're jumping straight back into it this month, with twice as long to work on your map. In this two-month long challenge, you are invited to design two maps showcasing a single location before and after a significant event takes place.
    Your imaginations are free to run wild as you decide on the nature of this event; perhaps a cataclysmic battle between two forces, a magical calamity caused by a powerful artifact, the settling of an untouched landscape, or anything else you may think of. It can be of any scale or any setting: from a single building (what did happen to that tavern, after it changed ownership?) to a intergalactic empire (how did first contact affect the political landscape of the cosmos?).

As making two maps does take longer (even if the second will likely be some edit of the first), we have given you all two months to work on this (also Februrary is notably shorter and always gives less time for a challenge).

Rules are simple as always:
    1. Any map for this challenge cannot have been started before now
    2. Label your map thread like this: January/February 2024 Challenge: (your title here)
    3. Preface any work-in-progress pictures you post with the WIP tag button - it's in the toolbar on the second row down, towards the right. Or you can just type out ### Latest WIP ### Doing this allows the picture scraper to see your work and let the voters see it at the end of the month
    4. Both maps should be on the same image so the thumbnail scraper will pick it up

The Challenge will run until the morning of the 1st of March (UTC).

Good Luck!
    Last edited by Ifrix; 01-29-2024 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifrix View Post
    We're jumping straight back into it this month, with twice as long to work on your map. In this two-month long challenge, you are invited to design two maps showcasing a single location before and after a significant event takes place.
    Your imaginations are free to run wild as you decide on the nature of this event; perhaps a cataclysmic battle between two forces, a magical calamity caused by a powerful artifact, the settling of an untouched landscape, or anything else you may think of. It can be of any scale or any setting: from a single building (what did happen to that tavern, after it changed ownership?) to a intergalactic empire (how did first contact affect the political landscape of the cosmos?).

As making two maps does take longer (even if the second will likely be some edit of the first), we have given you all two months to work on this (also Februrary is notably shorter and always gives less time for a challenge).

Rules are simple as always:
    1. Any map for this challenge cannot have been started before now
    2. Label your map thread like this: January/February 2023 Challenge: (your title here)
    3. Preface any work-in-progress pictures you post with the WIP tag button - it's in the toolbar on the second row down, towards the right. Or you can just type out ### Latest WIP ### Doing this allows the picture scraper to see your work and let the voters see it at the end of the month
    4. Both maps should be on the same image so the thumbnail scraper will pick it up

The Challenge will run until the morning of the 1st of March (BST).

Good Luck!
    Great challenge idea! In addition to being on the same image for scraper purposes, can they also be artistically one image (i.e. two maps using a single frame)?

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
    Great challenge idea! In addition to being on the same image for scraper purposes, can they also be artistically one image (i.e. two maps using a single frame)?
    Oh yes, definitely!

Sounds fun! I'll give it some thought and see what I can come up with.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by Ifrix View Post
    The Challenge will run until the morning of the 1st of March (BST).

Good Luck!
    BST doesn't start until 31st March
    I started a DeviantArt page
    https://strafwibble.deviantart.com/

Thanks! I've had this idea for a while now. I will try and finish this challenge. My creative focus has been on music in recent months so I haven't been drawing maps at all.
    View my website and Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    BST doesn't start until 31st March
    BST? Basic Staff Training?
    View my website and Instagram

Sounds great! I'll have to see if inspirations hits me.

Visit my business site: The Elderly Cartographer
    For commissions: Fiverr
    Follow me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and DeviantArt

Question Stamps allowed?

I hand draw and was wondering if I am allowed to use stamps for mountains and trees. This is my first challenge ever.

Quote Originally Posted by cartographermapper View Post
    I hand draw and was wondering if I am allowed to use stamps for mountains and trees. This is my first challenge ever.
    Generally in these challenges stamps, assets, and textures are fine to use, as well as programs like Inkarnate etc. As long as you legitimately purchased the assets I have no issue with it. The mapping challenge rules thread here goes into more detail.
    View my map and asset packs on CartographyAssets or DrivethruRPG. Support my work on Patreon. Take a look at my work on my Website or Instagram.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast