Thread: Isoxandria

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Daelin's Avatar

Default Isoxandria

I don't even... yeah.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FINALx.jpg 
Views:	453 
Size:	9.31 MB 
ID:	136855  

Ok, with that kind of "intro" to your map...I have to ask

Is there a story? Is this a developed setting? Or just randomly put together? Because if it's the former, please tell us about it! The portraits alone make me suuuper curious about all those folks

The map itself looks really good as well. Could totally see myself "stealing" this map for a city-adventure in any kind of TTRPG.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Daelin View Post
    I don't even... yeah.
    I remember seeing this when you shared it on reddit awhile back. It's a really excellent map! I love this semi-realistic style for city maps.

Edit: Was this done in Photoshop?

Wow, what an amazingly detailed map! It looks fantastic with so many little neighbourhoods to study. I can't imagine how long it took to put together.

And I love the, err, diverse population!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Ok, with that kind of "intro" to your map...I have to ask
    I have a tendency to make weird and kinda aloof comments online, not just on CG, so that was what I could think to say when I made this thread.

Is there a story? Is this a developed setting? Or just randomly put together? Because if it's the former, please tell us about it! The portraits alone make me suuuper curious about all those folks
    No, there isn't much of a story to this. I just like to make maps that have a feeling of being lived in, if that makes sense. The portraits are... sourced from the internet, although I do heavily rework what images I use, so that isn't exactly "stealing", is it? Anyway, they're just examples of people I imagine live in my world, they don't have a story beyond their name and description. Same with the place names and legend. No more story beyond what's written.

The map itself looks really good as well. Could totally see myself "stealing" this map for a city-adventure in any kind of TTRPG.
    You can probably guess my stance on using other people's creations for one's own personal enjoyment, so if you wanna use my map for roleplaying, you go right the heck ahead. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
    Was this done in Photoshop?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    I can't imagine how long it took to put together.
    Me neither.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    And I love the, err, diverse population!
    That's somewhat the point. A multicultural, multispecial (as in species) fantasy metropolis.
    Last edited by Daelin; 01-07-2024 at 05:30 PM.

Great city map, once again!
    Little nitpick, I'm not so fond of the sort of web of secondary location you placed on some big buildings (like Yawbrük Circle),

I shared this (amazing) map on the Guild Facebook page the other day, and someone commented on it saying that they might be interested in commissioning you. I've no idea if you do commissions or not, but let me know if you have any additional social media platform that I could link them to, if you're at all interested!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I'd missed this one... and yet it's incredible!
    So many details, so many rich elements, so many stories yet to be told...
    And the commentary that accompanies the map is priceless! It gave me a good laugh before I plunged into the streets and world of isoxandria!
    Well done for your energy and tenacity in completing this mammoth task, and above all well done for the beauty, the quality of the rendering, the very real aspect and all the imagination required to invent all these places. It really makes you want to walk through them (but are the streets safe?).
    Same comment as Ilanthar about the labels: I'm not sure there was any need to specify the sub-categories of labels with these lines, which somewhat hide the beauty of the work!

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    I've no idea if you do commissions or not
    I do not. No interest in making other people's maps and deadlines and all the other stuff that comes with commissions.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    So many details, so many rich elements, so many stories yet to be told...
    Thanks. Awesome. Mission accomplished.

are the streets safe?
    Like any major metropolis, yeah, for the most part. There are less reputable parts of the city, certainly, like Pennynelly in Upper Thraeben or Citikelny Isle, which is somewhat of a red-light district. But there's also a police force, the Blacknells. It's a lawful city.

not sure there was any need to specify the sub-categories of labels with these lines
    Yeah, I can see that. They're a result of me wanting to stuff as much detail into the world as possible, as I am wont to do. So when I started describing smaller sections of the same building and whatnot, that's the solution I decided on. I could remove the lines and just leave the smaller lettered labels, and it would probably still be readable.

Default Thank you for the addition to Weird Europe

Hello Adept Cartographer Daelin

I just wanted to thank you for this great addition to the Weird World setting I am still working on based on your Wierd Europe maps.
    I was just randomly scanning for good city maps in a search when I saw the name Isoxandria pop up. I knew it was yours before I clicked.

I will have to dream up a few new races to this world I see - but I love the challenge and the inspiration you provide as always. One very multicultural-multispecies melting-pot culture coming up.

Some of the names needs to be adjusted to avoid direct overlap with the old Weird World map. However, it also means I already know the Hoegbaal & Riften area will have a history of being inhabited by the original half-human land-reclamation engineers brought in when Isoxandria needed to expand. Thus named after their homelands.

I also found it very interesting that Isoxandria shelters an established Acadamy for Wierd Androits (the soulless shades). Being soul-ripped or even born soulless forces many to flee from Holy Jeomannian to survive, yet they named the Academy in memory of the Jeomannian capital city. Dare I say they carry the emotion of hope, despit it all, that the inquisition and persecution of non-natural magic users will one day end and allow them to return home? Interesting.

Thank you very much for continued inspiration.

Humbly

Nysted

Scribe 2nd Grade of Chronologies
    Sci. St. Lestabreña Library
    Gedivery Ankhy