Thread: How to draw Appalachian-style mountains?

Help How to draw Appalachian-style mountains?

I am mapping my latest fantasy world, and I have run into a type of geography I'm not sure how to display. I have a region that I would like to be quite similar to the Appalachian mountains: low, long ridges in parallel with fairly narrow valleys between. How can I show this on my map?

I have often used Inkarnate for mapping, but their method of placing individual icons doesn't quite fit. These mountains I'm attempting to show aren't a collection of many peaks but rather long ridges.

I also like to draw by hand with pencil or use paint.net, but shading is something I'm not very comfortable with. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Attached is an example of the mountains I'm talking about as shown by google maps terrain view, followed by my currently mountainless continent map for this world, made in paint.net.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	appalachians.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	136860

Name:	Berelia v3.1.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	335.4 KB 
ID:	136861

At world scale, you are unlikely to able to tell the difference between mountain range types. They are also unlikely to have anything resembling details. A notional "here be mountains" is likely to be sufficient, either as isometric style pictographs or something like hachures "caterpillar mountains").

Guild Member IllustratedPageBookDesign's Avatar

I agree with Waldronate regarding the scale.

For closer up mountains, I tend to emphasize that they're forested by drawing tree-covered ridgelines. This is an example, a map I created for a steampunk book set in a fantastical Appalachia.

Name:	The Wastes Map FINAL web.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	888.8 KB 
ID:	136926