Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: January/February 2024 Challenge: Commemorative map for a 100 years of master Orellana

Quote Originally Posted by Ink_alpinist View Post
    Well, what is the point of being part of a community if not to learn? Got into some challenges in this step... so I would like to ask.

1. How do you choose the color palette for your maps? Where could mine improve?
    2. Textures. I want this map to feel like 1600s, great navigations, discoveries and stuff. And those maps always have some different textures, some tips on how to make them or find in the net?

For now that is it. I want to solve the issues above before going into icons and typography... but, as always, any comments and suggestions are welcome!

### LATEST WIP ###
    Attachment 136986
    This is looking great so far! On color palettes, that is still something I am trying to improve on myself, but I have found looking through maps and other artwork to find a color palette I like has been helpful. I also find this adobe color palette tool to sometimes be useful: https://color.adobe.com/create/color-wheel

For textures, the are many in the resources section here on the forum. However you can also check out mapeffects.com for some great free paper textures. I also have saved a bunch of textures on my DeviantArt under the resources folder if you want to check those out: https://www.deviantart.com/turambar9...3820/resources

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
    This is looking great so far! On color palettes, that is still something I am trying to improve on myself, but I have found looking through maps and other artwork to find a color palette I like has been helpful. I also find this adobe color palette tool to sometimes be useful: https://color.adobe.com/create/color-wheel

For textures, the are many in the resources section here on the forum. However you can also check out mapeffects.com for some great free paper textures. I also have saved a bunch of textures on my DeviantArt under the resources folder if you want to check those out: https://www.deviantart.com/turambar9...3820/resources
    Thanks Turambar, you have been really kind Also, damn, your Deviant page is really cool, you have made A LOT of stuff kkkkk
    I will check out those resources and the color wheel I bet will be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
    I love Adobe's color wheel!

Looks great, Ink_Alpinist. I love the lava lines!

Visit my business site: The Elderly Cartographer
    For commissions: Fiverr
    Follow me on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and DeviantArt

Quote Originally Posted by The Elderly Cartographer View Post
    I love Adobe's color wheel!

Looks great, Ink_Alpinist. I love the lava lines!
    Thanks, The Elderly Cartographer.

I also liked the lava and tried to (and got a bit carried away) to give it a more impressive look. For this the Adobe Color Wheel helped me a lot, thanks Turambar!

So, sollutions found:
    1. Texture. I used a texture from the Mapping Elements (sadly I don't remember who posted it) all over. I think it gave me the feeling I was looking for, those little dots proper from modern era maps.

2. Color. Still in progress, I used the Adobe Wheel and am pretty satisfied with the the continents, but not with the frame. In search for criticism and suggestions on this (as always feel free to critic anything).

3. Sea monters. I must thank KMAlexander for offering the sea monsters PNGs in the thread (https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=52156). But I must ask is it to many monster? Yeah ... to many monsters...

4. Frame Pattern. In progress. Thinking about a more simple or to get a photo of a pattern.

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Orellana 0.95.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	5.38 MB 
ID:	137037
    Last edited by Ink_alpinist; 02-13-2024 at 09:41 PM.

Interesting assortment of monsters. Lol. Since you brought it up, I would agree; too many monsters.

Not too many, just too big! How will anyone get any business done in that economy! Unless they're selling to the monsters...

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    Not too many, just too big! How will anyone get any business done in that economy! Unless they're selling to the monsters...
    Hard times unless you are a monster hunter. Or maybe, specially if you are a monster hunter!

Elderly and Tiana, thanks. I will take your considerations in account, maybe rearrange the monsters and minimize them. At first I though about filling out the sea with them but it didn't worked out really well.

And now I believe the map is almost done!

Next steps:

1. Create a decent Maelstrom.
    2. Label the thing.
    3. Create extra steps: side notes, map border/limit/rag?, Royal Stamp, secret treasure...

Anyway, this is it for now.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Orellana 0.96.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	5.82 MB 
ID:	137065
    Last edited by Ink_alpinist; 02-15-2024 at 10:35 PM.

Superb! That boarder is extreme! Adding those old paintings is a great touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Ink_alpinist View Post
    Hard times unless you are a monster hunter. Or maybe, specially if you are a monster hunter!

Elderly and Tiana, thanks. I will take your considerations in account, maybe rearrange the monsters and minimize them. At first I though about filling out the sea with them but it didn't worked out really well.

And now I believe the map is almost done!

Next steps:

1. Create a decent Maelstrom.
    2. Label the thing.
    3. Create extra steps: side notes, map border/limit/rag?, Royal Stamp, secret treasure...

Anyway, this is it for now.

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	Orellana 0.96.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	5.82 MB 
ID:	137065
    Looks great! I would recommend coloring in the sea monsters so that it matches the rest of the map's style.

Thanks friends Elderly and Turambar. At the end I decided to not paint the monsters, I am kind of tired, and already put to much information. But for a first challenge it is what it is.
    And, Elder, the paintings are all from the Wikimedia Commons.

Maybe I will write some more lore for the map, but for now I will call it finished! Thank you all for your support, suggestions and critics are open as always. Is it too much info? To many writings

### Winner ###

Name:	Orellana 2.2.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	6.33 MB 
ID:	137154
    Last edited by Ifrix; 03-06-2024 at 05:04 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast