Quote Originally Posted by Peter Toth View Post
Thank you for the lucid explanation Naima; I believe I can now visualize the difference between the two terms. Because kinematic viscosity decreases for air at a higher density, it flows more easily under the influence of gravity. Thus, you've essentially answered my question about whether my calculations are correct regarding the derivation of the frictional Taylor number.

I need this data because I'm also trying to decide the atmospheric circulation regime for my planet, with a preference for "multiple jets" which features eddies that mature into cyclones vs. asymmetric circulation which precludes jets and eddies from forming in the first place. Essentially I want a planet that features unpredictable weather dominated by cyclones, which can only occur at about 2.3 atmospheres on my planet factoring in its (extreme) rotation rate.

By discussing this topic with enthusiasm, I was also hoping to generate interest, and therefore membership applications, for Cartographer's Guild. I notice that 4,500 individuals have viewed my map as of 7 PM on February the 6th. If even one in 1,000 of those viewers had any expertise or previous interest on this topic, that could potentially generate 4 or 5 new members who could support Cartographer's Guild and join the discussion, especially for conworld submissions, which I consider the "less popular" type of map.

Again, thank you, Naima, for your expertise in explaining the difference between dynamic viscosity and kinematic viscosity; I'm now one step closer to a finished project here.

And for those other members who are interested in this kind of map, I'll update you as soon as I have more material.

Thanks.

Peter
Considering your goal of creating a planet dominated by unpredictable weather and frequent cyclones, I am not sure if you really need to delve into complex atmospheric calculations, I suggest more simply to envision a world with an extremely fast rotation rate and a thick, dense atmosphere. These characteristics naturally lead to the formation of multiple jet streams and the frequent development of powerful storms. The rapid rotation and atmospheric density would contribute to a dynamic climate system, where the interaction between the planet's varied topography and atmospheric dynamics creates ideal conditions for cyclone formation. This setup could allow for a narrative where the inhabitants and ecosystems have uniquely adapted to these extreme conditions, with societies developing innovative ways to cope with or predict the stormy weather. Grounding your world in these broader scientific principles enables you to achieve your desired atmospheric conditions, adding depth to your world-building without the necessity of detailed calculations. But of course its a fantasy world and depending on your goals I doubt anyone would come to check your calculations behind , but if your goal is to provide a scientific brainstorming then its another matter. I am not that versed in planetary science apart the things I need for my worldbuilding scopes usually.
That said how did you see 4500 viewed your map ?