Thread: Mission of Gravity -- Rapidly Spinning World

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Port Development, British Columbia, Canada

Thank you Naima and worldbuilding pasta for your continued assistance,

Yes, it seems I've totally neglected ocean currents when defining my global moisture patterns. I do believe this would change things to a noticeable degree, so I'll add that task to my to do list.

For now, I've been tinkering with ExoPlaSim using worldbuilding pasta's suggestion, to increase the stellar flux. I opted not to increase CO2 as I desired a naturally low value, considering that over 10,000 ppm of CO2 might cause drowsiness for humans. The last thing I want to do is to subject my characters to any more torture, considering they are already braving high gravities and bitterly cold temperatures.

To derive the necessary semimajor axis I needed for a 28-degree temperature increase, I naively assumed this formula applied:

T[planet] = T[star]*((R[star]^2 * (1-A)) / (4*SMA^2))^0.25

I simply did the algebra to immediately derive the necessary SMA, then proceeded to calculate the insolation and year length assuming this new SMA value. When I ran the simulation, however, my hottest temperature skyrocketed to 93 Celsius just after perihelion!

Persevering, I chose an "in between" value for the insolation, assuming a linear scaling of temperatures, then I reran the simulation on ExoPlaSim.

Unfortunately, although the perihelion temperatures turned out satisfactory, the program calculated an aphelion equatorial temperature of -19 Celsius (second image below), which is over 25 degrees colder than the initial simulation with the original parameters and a default Earthlike topography.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frodo Summer.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	137351

Name:	Frodo Winter.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	137352

Name:	Koppen2.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	4.0 KB 
ID:	137354

Thus, I'm led to believe that simply bringing the planet closer to its sun won't produce the equivalent effect of properly specifying the topography files created by Image2sra_2.0.3. I believe therein lies the problem. So I ran the Image2sra with the debug option selected, and received this error message:

Would you like this script to produce debug images? (y/n): y
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "Image2sra_2.0.3.py", line 154, in <module>
    img = img.transpose(Image.Transpose.ROTATE_90)
    AttributeError: module 'PIL.Image' has no attribute 'Transpose'

Could this error be responsible for the mismatch in my temperature gradients? And if so, how could I rectify this issue?

By the way, Naima, I checked out the link you provided, and I am impressed! Once I've mastered ExoPlaSim, I intend to venture into the field of rendering even more unEarthlike worlds. However, as worldbuilding pasta has commented, some of the simulation tools are not yet avaialble.

At any rate, thank you all for your interest in this project.

Peter
    Attached Images Attached Images