Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TTRPGs

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Tad, you're a brother in my heart ! The OSR scene brought me back to gaming life and I'm astonished daily by the vitality of the indie/OSR/FKR world.
    Ahh fantastic! I agree entirely, there is such creativity and innovation happening within the OSR. In particular, I find that much attention is paid to creating products optimized for easy reference and playability. What are some of your favorite OSR games?

I have mainly been playing pathfinder lately. When I run it is usually L5R though because it is what my group likes. I do want to run an eclipse phase game though.

I am quite lucky with my group because the first games a bunch of us played were Deadlands and Mutant Chronicles. So we're not wedded to any one specific system - we will try anything if someone wants to run it.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Guild Member

Played for years starting back in the early 80's with the blue box D&D set. Moved on to AD&D, then 2nd edition, then 3 & 3.5. Played many others as well; Boot Hill, Top Secret, Traveller. Collected many more I never had a chance to play, lost some over the years but got back into collecting & hoping I can play at some point. So many I like. Currently thinking about setting something up for 3.5 or Fantasy Age. Love all the Palladium stuff for inspiration even if you never get to play it. %e is cool, but think I like 3.5 more. Pathfinder & PF2e are both awesome, think I would play PF2e over 1st edition though. Basic Fantasy RPG is awesome & all the PDF's are Free! That would be my OSR choice. 4e Warhammer looks cool & so does Zwiehander, Have both along with tons of other stuff...why you gotta ask me a question like what ttrpg's I like? I could write a book! Short answer...Games good! Me like games! lol

edit: How could I leave out RQ & Call of Cthulhu??? Sure I'm forgetting others too. See, I could go on for days...

edit #2: Actually working on putting together a campaign atm but torn between 3.5, Fantasy Age 2e & BFRPG...not to mention kinda wanting to try some Fallout & The Mutant Epoch...lol
    Last edited by SharpPointyStick; 04-08-2024 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Ahh fantastic! I agree entirely, there is such creativity and innovation happening within the OSR. In particular, I find that much attention is paid to creating products optimized for easy reference and playability. What are some of your favorite OSR games?
    I DM two French creations : Oltréé (for which I can pitch the system that is fun) and Cœurs Vaillants (Brave and the Bold in English) in its second iteration. I also love Cairn, Knave, Primal Quest and Into the Odd but I often stripp Macchiato Monsters for parts as it's a wonder (open-magic-system !!!).

Also, everything from the Merry Mushmen is gold (KNOCK! above all else) and Emily Allen procedural dungeons are very fun to play with.

What are yours ?

To answer Naima's original post, I've started with RuneQuest and Call of Cthulhu, playeda bit of Star Wars D6, Deadlands, some French crazy games named In Nomine Satanis/Magna Veritas and Bitume (Mad Max with camembert) and strangely tried DnD products quite late (and they're mostly not to my taste as I find the class and alignment system quite rigid) playing a bit of ADD, DD3 and 3.5 then DD5. Later I discovered DD1 and the B&X system and found it refreshing as a toolbox mainly. Nowadays, I want rules lite systems that I tinker with, adding various parts taken elsewhere. Full improv with tools to streamline the games (the only way I can DM).
    Last edited by ThomasR; 04-08-2024 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    I DM two French creations : Oltréé (for which I can pitch the system that is fun) and Cœurs Vaillants (Brave and the Bold in English) in its second iteration. I also love Cairn, Knave, Primal Quest and Into the Odd but I often stripp Macchiato Monsters for parts as it's a wonder (open-magic-system !!!).

Also, everything from the Merry Mushmen is gold (KNOCK! above all else) and Emily Allen procedural dungeons are very fun to play with.

What are yours ?

I've heard the French had their own vibrant OSR scene. Very cool. I'm familiar with Cairn and Into the Odd (though haven't had the opportunity to play either). I've Kickstarted Ben Milton's Knave and am eagerly awaiting its fulfilment. And yes, I agree with you about Merry Mushmen. I've got the first two issues of Knock and want to complete the set.

Like you I like to tinker and hack systems and mostly play with my own homebrewed OSR system. When not playing that however my first go-to would be some form of Basic D&D or its clone. Old School Essentials is wonderful and so easy to use. BECMI / RC fills in some important gaps of Basic D&D and answers questions like, what do I do once my character has built a stronghold, and what the hell do I do with all this treasure I've amassed?

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Dnd5e! Although have been dabbling with Kids on Bikes more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12