Thread: Satellite view of a 3D sphere

Guild Artisan

Default Satellite view of a 3D sphere

I am trying to project an equirectangular map of the Earth onto a sphere AND to produce a satellite view along an axis passing through given (lat,long) coordinates .
    As I have little experience with 3 D software, I would be grateful if somebody could advice some software able to do one , the other or , ideally, both .
    I am a bit rusty but I remeber that some years ago the orthodromic projection was available in WIlbur but for some reason it doesn't seem to work when I tried it today .
    Thanks in advance.

One way would be to use G Projector (comes up easily in a web search). If your equirectangular projection is already colored as a satellite view, you can import it as a .bmp file and choose from several different projections. There is a size limit, however, and the output may not be of the highest quality dep ending on how large you try to make it. Optionally, if you have Fractal Terrains, you can use Wilbur to set up a dem file that can be imported. Waldronate can tell you more about that option if he swings through.

Hope that helps some.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges