Thread: Real World Map Editing and Embellishing

Default Real World Map Editing and Embellishing

Commission:

Willing to pay up to $150.

Introduction/Background:

I am a new member of this forum although I've been lurking for awhile. I registered specifically to advertise this commission, my experience of using forums is very limited, so I apologize in advance if I make some formatting/posting mistakes. I run a small competitive community for Paradox Interactive grand strategy games and I would like to create an artistic rendition of one of our latest campaigns.

Project Description & Scope:

I have already transferred the in-game map data to a real world map and adjusted the countries' borders so that they match the real-world continents. The result is presented below and will be provided to the artist as a high-res photoshop file. What I ask for in this commission is for the artist to go through the map and paint in mountains, forests, swamps, deserts, hills, etc. We can discuss what georgaphic features I am looking for in each region in private. I would like the geographic features to match the real world pretty accurately but I do allow for plenty of creative freedom for the sake of beauty and visibility.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map_low_res.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	986.0 KB 
ID:	137042

Style:

In terms of style, I would like the final result to resemble historical maps from roughly the 18th century. Specifically, I really like the work of K. M. Alexander and would like to have something similar.

Name:	defercartographysample_color-2.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	137040
    This one is perfect.

Technical Aspects

I would like you to use K. M. Alexander's brushes which are available to download from his website for free. Specifically I like Hyacinth 19th century mountain brush set and de Fer 18th century Cartography set. If, for whatever reason, you think that another set of brushes or even a hand drawn approach is more preferrable, we can certainly discuss this. I am open to any and all stylistic suggestions. I think the geographic elements look best when the aforementioned brushes are applied atop the map layer with a slightly darker colour than the country in question, like in the example below.

Name:	Geo_Features.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	479.3 KB 
ID:	137041

I would like you to continue working within the Photoshop file provided and the end result should be an updated version with all the georaphic features on a seperate layer[s]. Please note that the file is fairly large (23468p x 9601p) and I would like it to stay that size. Hence, I would assume you need a pretty capable computer to work with this. Perhaps, there are some work arounds which would allow you to work in a smaller resolution and then upscale the final result. I am not sure because I am not tech savy enough, but if there are, I don't mind you using them. The final result is intended for both digital use and print, so please take this into account.

Copyright:

The end result will not be sold anywhere, but I would like full rights to the image, although I do not mind the artist displaying it in his/her portfolio.

Time Constraints:

I would like the work to be completed within one month from the time when we agree on the commission.

Contact Details:

Email: staranenko.357 at proton.me

Discord (preferable): JimmyTheGoat / 240563536034529301

Hi, sent you an email.