Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ALDEBAN - Continent Map

Default ALDEBAN - Continent Map

I know, it happens every here. I log in to post a map I've completed recently.
    For this early stage of 2024 I got the Aldeban map to show you!
    As for Asheran, I have a Timelapse Video that shows the creation of the map. Since this was a restyling I had a draft to start from.
    What I like of this map is:
    The sandy areas and the Jungle treetops in Soth-Amaraas!

As always, let me know what you think about it and i'm open to any suggestions that may be helpful in the future to improve my skillset (If I can tell I got one . lol)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aldeban_Complete_v4 LOW.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	4.80 MB 
ID:	137048
    ⋄ ◊ ⤜--ℜ𝔢𝔫𝔣𝔩𝔬𝔴𝔢𝔯𝔊𝔯𝔞𝔭𝔵⟶ ◊ ⋄ Hey! Here is where to find me! ⟶ ◊ ⋄ ⥊ Instagram ⥋ ◊ ⥊ Patreon - Battle Maps ⥋ ⋄ ◊ Youtube - Speed Paintings

Great map! Your maps always have amazing colors and a wonderful painterly look/. The ageing on this map is particularly well done as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RenflowerGrapx View Post
    I know, it happens every here. I log in to post a map I've completed recently.
    For this early stage of 2024 I got the Aldeban map to show you!
    As for Asheran, I have a Timelapse Video that shows the creation of the map. Since this was a restyling I had a draft to start from.
    What I like of this map is:
    The sandy areas and the Jungle treetops in Soth-Amaraas!

As always, let me know what you think about it and i'm open to any suggestions that may be helpful in the future to improve my skillset (If I can tell I got one . lol)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aldeban_Complete_v4 LOW.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	4.80 MB 
ID:	137048
    First of all I want to say I watched all the video and you have a great talent so , no need to suggest you anything but eventually it could be the otherway around, that said May be you could find a way to differentiate the style of the trees? like Northenr type , temperate type and jungle type ? Other than that I think looks great .

Quote Originally Posted by Naima View Post
    First of all I want to say I watched all the video and you have a great talent so , no need to suggest you anything but eventually it could be the otherway around, that said May be you could find a way to differentiate the style of the trees? like Northenr type , temperate type and jungle type ? Other than that I think looks great .
    This is exactly the feedback I'm looking for. In this map I could make different treetops for a specific region as it needed to be recognized for its wilderness. But it gave me the need and the curiosity to experiment a little more.
    I can't always rely on colors for that,. So indeed I need to develop a method that suits my fear to get the carpal tunnel flaming and the need to finish a work asap. eheh

Ps: Than you for watching the video =)
    ⋄ ◊ ⤜--ℜ𝔢𝔫𝔣𝔩𝔬𝔴𝔢𝔯𝔊𝔯𝔞𝔭𝔵⟶ ◊ ⋄ Hey! Here is where to find me! ⟶ ◊ ⋄ ⥊ Instagram ⥋ ◊ ⥊ Patreon - Battle Maps ⥋ ⋄ ◊ Youtube - Speed Paintings

Quote Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
    Great map! Your maps always have amazing colors and a wonderful painterly look/. The ageing on this map is particularly well done as well.
    Thank you! Funny enough how the paintery look is what i've tried to eliminate in my first evolution of the style and now it is what people recognize most.

Thank you! Funny enough how the paintery look is what i've tried to eliminate in my first evolution of the style and now it is what people recognize most.
    Why you wanted to elimnate it? I like the painterly style, lol sometimes I wich to know how to give more painterly style too.

This is exactly the feedback I'm looking for. In this map I could make different treetops for a specific region as it needed to be recognized for its wilderness. But it gave me the need and the curiosity to experiment a little more.
    I can't always rely on colors for that,. So indeed I need to develop a method that suits my fear to get the carpal tunnel flaming and the need to finish a work asap. eheh

Ps: Than you for watching the video =)
    I tried something like that inthe past and making trees manually is a pain in... so ur method of straight painting is what I tried in past too , the issue i found is that I didn't like overlapping of some of them especially if I had to pass over several times and then woud have required regardless a second a other manuall passes to fix... I tried also diversify the tre types but with not really good results so I still am in search of a better quicker yet satisfying method.
    Jungle patterns are another problem because typically are represented by palm trees in some maps but that is wrong as palm trees are mostly used in open areas and beaches , while Jungle trees should be represented by more specific canopies that its harder to show , also here I am still tring to find a correct simplified idea for a typical Jungle tree that could be recognizeable but not a palm tree... the idea I got is to use an horizontal canopy type but that didn't look very good, so basiccally to put it brutaly simple, pointed triangles for northern trees, bubble round clouds for temperate trees and horizontal jagged ones for jungles, but those last don't look very good ... so still a problem to solve.
    Swamps is another one, typically what I see in maps are mostly kind of dead trees and spooky style but that also does't represent reality of swamps, the way i see them is more like Everglades and water-land areas the canopy of those trees also shoudl resemble more Mangroves or the like focusing for example on roots, but there it risks to become overcomplicated in recognizing ... another problem to solve ... if you find some ideas I will be surely be happy to copy them if I get ur permission hehe.
    Last edited by Naima; 02-16-2024 at 09:48 AM.

Why you wanted to elimnate it? I like the painterly style, lol sometimes I wich to know how to give more painterly style too.
    At the time i had a vision that drawings needed to be sharp and smooth to be "professional". This is something i've changed my mind during the time.

I tried something like that inthe past and making trees manually is a pain in... so ur method of straight painting is what I tried in past too , the issue i found is that I didn't like overlapping of some of them especially if I had to pass over several times and then woul dhave required regardless a second a other manuall passes to fix... I tried also diversify the tre types but with not really good results so I still am in search of a better quicker yet satisfying method.
    Jungle patterns are another problem because typically are represented by palm trees in some maps but that is wrong as palm trees are mostly used in open areas and beaches , while Jungle trees should be represented by more specific canopies that its harder to show , also here I am still tring to find a correct simplified idea for a typical Jungle tree that could be recognizeable but not a palm tree... the idea I got is to use an horizontal canopy type but that didn't look very good, so basiccally to put it brutaly simple, pointed triangles for northern trees, bubble round clouds for temperate trees and horizontal jagged ones for jungles, but those last don't look very good ... so still a problem to solve.
    Swamps is another one, typically what I see in maps are mostly kind of dead trees and spooky style but that also does't represent reality of swamps, the way i see them is more like Everglades and water-land areas the canopy of those trees also shoudl resemble more Mangroves or the like focusing for example on roots, but there it risks to become overcomplicated in recognizing ... another problem to solve ... if you find some ideas I will be surely be happy to copy them if I get ur permission hehe.
    I know for facts that art is derivative, now or later we all end up by interiorizing a concept and evolving it in our style. So, whenever a strike of genius hits, I'm sure we will all contribute in its evolution. hopefully

Lovely work Ren, just finished the video and it was a treat. At least to my eye, it's a challenge to make a more painterly style work when your linework remains visible (e.g. omitting linework for forests but retaining it on everything else). You walk a fine balance and it's a credit to your skill that everything works.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    Lovely work Ren, just finished the video and it was a treat. At least to my eye, it's a challenge to make a more painterly style work when your linework remains visible (e.g. omitting linework for forests but retaining it on everything else). You walk a fine balance and it's a credit to your skill that everything works.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Ty! As you have seen in the video I have created a first thicker but transparent outline with the only goal of keeping it "dirt". ps: so good to see you around!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast