Thread: Shadow World - Jaiman

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Shadow World - Jaiman

My intro to my project is here:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=5220

To summarize, I'm working on the Shadow World Players Guide which will include continent scale maps and I'm starting with Jaiman. I'm using Campaign Cartographer 3.

Phase 1 was to create a base map of the coastlines, rivers, and mountains. This will then serve as my base reference map to which I will add other layers of info and symbols.

My first step was to use existing Shadow World maps to trace. You'll see in the first image below I have a big continent map, along with several smaller regional maps from various publications that I used as reference. I then used a tablet to trace all the coasts, then the rivers.

The second and third images show my attempt at trying to put in contours and mountain relief (the last one using the relief techniques from Cartographers Annual 24). Now the contours and mtn relief is not going to be what I use in the final product. Instead I will be using mountain symbols, however I wanted to map out mountain locations at the least and thought contours was the best way to do it. Unfortunately it was difficult to really create the contours from the original maps since most of them didn't have that. So many of the lines I made up and the result is something that doesn't really look like proper contour lines.

Phase 2 will involve copying this base map into the Par Lindstrom Fantasy Worlds style (CA 28 ), and creating the basic geographical features in that style (mountains, terrain such as desert, forest, etc) that will be common to all versions of the map. Phase 3 will be the addition of various layers of information: political boundaries, climate, racial populations, roads, trade routes, etc.

At this point I'm looking for any advice on how to wrap up Phase 1. If you were making a base reference map what additional info would you add?

Also, although this is an existing world, now's the time to make any minor geographical changes....any suggestions on *minor* tweaks to river locations, mountains, etc.?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jaiman-Bitmaps.jpg 
Views:	997 
Size:	172.0 KB 
ID:	12525   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jaiman-Contours.jpg 
Views:	497 
Size:	120.0 KB 
ID:	12526   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jaiman-Relief.JPG 
Views:	363 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	12527  
    Last edited by NeonKnight; 04-17-2009 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Fixed them smilies that were cropping up