Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duwain, question about border...

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Wip Duwain, question about border...

Hi !

I've just finished the map of Duwain, the capital city of the kingdom of Duyin... and I just can't figure out how to find the right border for it...

So I tried various solutions, and I'm still confused about the final result (none of it seems the right one... or the less wrong one).

I'd love to hear your views and opinions

Thanks in advance !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duwain_Final_1 copie.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	5.87 MB 
ID:	137362

Name:	Duwain_Final_2 copie.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	5.57 MB 
ID:	137363

Name:	Duwain_Final_3 copie.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	7.29 MB 
ID:	137364

Name:	Duwain_Final_4 copie.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	8.31 MB 
ID:	137365

Name:	Duwain_Final_Parchemin copie.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	5.25 MB 
ID:	137366

What is the intended purpose of the map?
    It looks like you're doing a "picture of a map" in the sense that there is an illustration in the context of a parchment surface with a wax seal affixed. I find that red seal a bit jarring, but I have ranted far too often in the past about pictures of maps vs. maps so I won't do it again.

I'm partial to the vertical versions of the map (the second and last), but the parchment border on the last one overwhelms the piece entirely. I don't like what the horizontal frames do to the proportions in the first and fourth. The fourth one feels more coherent the others, but I'm not real fond of the ears on the sides of the frame.

The second one feels the best to me, but it has a weird sloping top caused by the flag not having sky behind it and the size of the light-colored map key at the bottom is wildly unbalanced with the top. The ragged edges contribute to the feeling of imbalance. Possibly extending the sky up to even out the top and putting a mask across the ragged left and right of the illustration might balance that one out enough to make it a winner.

First of all, great map. I second Waldronate on the last, the border distract the sight. I really like the 4° version, I find it very balanced

Since it is a more pictorial map, what about a more illustrative border in the same style? Something like looking out an arched stone-block window, or flanking suits of armor on the left and right? I think the borders/legends need to hold their own against the map in the center, and it all has to have some common style. The squared-off borders are too abrupt, and the spears were a good idea but I don't think they're heavy enough.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    What is the intended purpose of the map?
    It looks like you're doing a "picture of a map" in the sense that there is an illustration in the context of a parchment surface with a wax seal affixed. I find that red seal a bit jarring, but I have ranted far too often in the past about pictures of maps vs. maps so I won't do it again.

I'm partial to the vertical versions of the map (the second and last), but the parchment border on the last one overwhelms the piece entirely. I don't like what the horizontal frames do to the proportions in the first and fourth. The fourth one feels more coherent the others, but I'm not real fond of the ears on the sides of the frame.

The second one feels the best to me, but it has a weird sloping top caused by the flag not having sky behind it and the size of the light-colored map key at the bottom is wildly unbalanced with the top. The ragged edges contribute to the feeling of imbalance. Possibly extending the sky up to even out the top and putting a mask across the ragged left and right of the illustration might balance that one out enough to make it a winner.
    Thank you very much for your thoughtful comments, Waldronate.

First of all, as far as the purpose of the map is concerned, it's quite simple: it's a map that I needed to write and describe a story that takes place in this town. I needed to situate myself and the important elements of the city. The lack of a 'story' around this map is undoubtedly the reason for my frame problem.

I know exactly what you mean about the difference between a map and an illustration of a map. It's absolutely relevant, and I'll be paying a lot more attention to this point in my next attempts. In this respect, it seemed to me that the 4th essay looks more like a map than an illustration of a map, and perhaps that's why you find it the most coherent? That said, I'd be interested to see what solutions you could suggest to avoid "ears" on the sides. I'd tried putting the legend below the map, but if I want to keep to a "coherent" format (A4), that would reduce the size of the map considerably.

Looking more closely at the 2nd essay, I completely understand your comment about the sky. I'll take your advice and extend the blue beyond the pennant. As for the jagged edges, forgive my beginner's question, but are you suggesting darkening them or working on their opacity to make them less prominent? Finally, one last question: I didn't quite understand what you meant by : " the size of the light-colored map key at the bottom is wildly unbalanced with the top." What I've understood is that the surface of the canvas behind the map legend is too bright, clear and present, and that it throws the whole thing off balance?

In any case, thank you for taking the time to give me your opinion, which I really appreciate!
    Last edited by - JO -; 04-04-2024 at 04:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkin View Post
    First of all, great map. I second Waldronate on the last, the border distract the sight. I really like the 4° version, I find it very balanced
    Hello Simkin! Many thanks for your comment! I'm inclined to agree with you about the 4th card: that's probably because, as Waldronate says, it's more coherent as a card than as an illustration? I'll see if I can find a solution to avoid those sort of "ears" on the sides...

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    Since it is a more pictorial map, what about a more illustrative border in the same style? Something like looking out an arched stone-block window, or flanking suits of armor on the left and right? I think the borders/legends need to hold their own against the map in the center, and it all has to have some common style. The squared-off borders are too abrupt, and the spears were a good idea but I don't think they're heavy enough.
    Thanks a lot for your ideas and comments Jshoer!
    I know what you mean about a more illustrated framework. I did that for this map, and I have to say that with hindsight, I find it a bit "heavy", too present (not to mention that I'm not very good at drawing human figures... well... even less good) . I wanted to do something lighter, something that would emphasise the card itself, but I don't think I've succeeded. Maybe I'm overthinking things too much and a simple frame with a line would be enough? I'll think and work on the suggestions that have been made and see if I can find a solution.

One possible way to reduce the appearance of ears is to extend the thick decorative border out around the edges of the map legend and put a thinner line between the legend and the map (more or less the same as the line that's around the outside of the legend). That treatment would pull the edges into a solid frame while still allowing the legend to be different from both the background and main illustration. The badges that break out at the corners could be pulled in flush with the corners or kept as-is to prevent those outer edges from going completely rectangular.

I think it looks great, as per sugestion why nt trying to combine the best of all ? May be 3rd and 4rth?

This is a beautiful map regardless of the border you choose. Personally I am torn equally between #3 and #4.

Edit: Upon further reflection, I think I am solidly in favor of #3. One recommendation I would make though, is for the small text in the legend I would use a font that is easier to read.
    Last edited by Turambar; 04-04-2024 at 09:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast