Thread: Discussion: What maps does a setting need

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Kaidan has a few maps...

Sorry, I came late to the conversation here.

As Greason Wolf mentioned, I am working on a setting book and mini-adventure arc intended for publication in June 2009.

Because my setting isn't an entire world or even a large continent, as its based on a Japan-like world of several large islands and dozens of smaller ones. I've got a map of my region called Kaidan, that includes the "whole world" as intended to be used in the adventure arc.

Although the Islands of Kaidan consist of 22 provinces, there are 3 main isles, and on one is where entire first adventure arc takes place. Therefore, I plan to map the 2 major cities/towns included, 4 provincial maps as they pertain to the single large island, as well as numerous encounter scale maps to follow the intended adventure, none of the latter have been created yet, but the intention would be a dozen or so maps. So that upwards towards twenty maps.

Note you may or may not be using as many encounter scale maps, which comprise the bulk of my initial setting.

I would have to have a better idea on the intended region of a given campaign, how far the players will probably travel while playing, and specific maps for encounters that are written into the adventure.

Does this help you, in anyway, NotsoNoble?

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Sorry, I came late to the conversation here.

As Greason Wolf mentioned, I am working on a setting book and mini-adventure arc intended for publication in June 2009.

Because my setting isn't an entire world or even a large continent, as its based on a Japan-like world of several large islands and dozens of smaller ones. I've got a map of my region called Kaidan, that includes the "whole world" as intended to be used in the adventure arc.

Although the Islands of Kaidan consist of 22 provinces, there are 3 main isles, and on one is where entire first adventure arc takes place. Therefore, I plan to map the 2 major cities/towns included, 4 provincial maps as they pertain to the single large island, as well as numerous encounter scale maps to follow the intended adventure, none of the latter have been created yet, but the intention would be a dozen or so maps. So that upwards towards twenty maps.

Note you may or may not be using as many encounter scale maps, which comprise the bulk of my initial setting.

I would have to have a better idea on the intended region of a given campaign, how far the players will probably travel while playing, and specific maps for encounters that are written into the adventure.

Does this help you, in anyway, NotsoNoble?

GP
    A little bit, it gives me an idea of a proportion to map in detail vs how much exists... if that makes any since...

The setting I'm working on is an entire world though... in fact its two worlds, at 3 distinct time periods... I still haven't decided if I want to try and pitch the whole thing in one chunk...

One world is no more than a astronomical and astrological side note until early in the 3rd time period (an age of magic and technology working together for space travel) So if I split it up by time periods... I don't really have to map it until that 3rd Age book... but its existance is simi-important in the first and second ages...