Thread: Discussion: What maps does a setting need

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Its a strange balance between random generation that inspires stories and finite depiction which denies them.

ie

-- that looks like a great place for a fortress..... (good)

-- I need a bog for this plotline but there are none. (bad)

I'm careful to keep track of what the players have seen and what they haven't. Some maps are just for the DM - I have to resist the temptation to say 'look what I did' and show too much. If it comes to it, I've told all my players that their maps might change but but so far I haven't had to. I like the freedom to change stuff before its introduced and the discipline to keep what they know stable.

I read somewhere that most people, even today, live and die within a 15 mile radius of their place of birth. Players get maps for what they've seen and possibly poetic maps as items or based on descriptions. Poetic maps with false elements are tricky and often feel like needless work. I think you have to do them though or the one or two poetic maps you use will be really obvious.
    Last edited by Sigurd; 04-18-2009 at 04:47 PM.

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd