Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Create a non-destructive editable map in Photoshop

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    I have a feeling that they only work with Windows - are you using a Mac?
    Windows, but I think I figured it out.

All I did is add the EC directory as a plug-in directory.

I haven't tried it yet but at least I have the ability to choose an EC filter whereas before I didn't.

Thanks for the response, I think I'm fixed.

Seems this is only a demo version, because I only have access to three things, jiggle isn't one of them.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I clicked on your link out of curiosity and got:
    Sorry, Service Temporarily Unavailable.

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.
    Additionally, a 503 Service Temporarily Unavailable error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Whee!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Hmmm...I tried a bit ago (~90 minutes previous to this post) and it worked just fine.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Are you using the download from here: http://www.geocities.com/why2kspace/

That one has the jiggle filter enabled.
    Affirmative that's the link.

That's odd, then I can't really help. I downloaded it to check it (a while back) and all the EyeCandy filters worked fine and without crippling.
    I tried reinstalling but no luck.

Thanks for trying.

As an alternative to the jiggle filter, try the ripple filter followed by the ocean ripple filter - the results are similar to jiggle and the filters are native to photoshop.

Thanks for an amazing tutorial! Once the basic principle is down, the whole process becomes very intuitive and flexible, it's great.

If you don't have access to the photoshop filters, I found it easiest to create a greyscale rippled / ocean rippled / blurred area, push it to 100% contrast and then select the white or black part - this gives you a bit of flexibility with where the edges of things are as well.

For the rivers, if you use a path with "simulate pressure" and make the path much longer than necessary you end up with a nice tapering effect (for those of us without a tablet).

Edit: A couple more variations - using clouds and an overlay colour has worked better for me than using a texture for the final 'binding' layer

Last edited by manikin; 11-03-2009 at 05:15 PM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast