Thread: GIMP experts? Horribly crashy and slow

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Uh. I'm not sure I know what that was all about. Thus far I haven't complained about any programs not doing what they're designed to do. Only with my implementation/knowledge of them. Far as I can see, that's a normal part of learning a new software. Easier to ask here than to pull my hair out till I figure it out on my own.

Also-I read part of that first post before it disappeared, somehow-I've never used Wilbur, so I don't know where that came from.

The topic of this thread is to do with getting GIMP to run optimally. That's what I'm asking about. I'm really not interested in whether anybody thinks it's worth my learning. I wanna use GIMP. There's no harm in adding to my knowledge base. Furthermore I can't afford to upgrade Photoshop. Can somebody discuss this issue with me instead of arguing the relative merits of GIMP/PS?

Thanks, torstan, this is what I'm looking for. See, I'm running 1G RAM and I'm not working NEARLY as large as A4, AND I've only got one layer going at the moment. There has got to be a setting I need to fix. Or maybe I need to look at the installation of the program, but it's not set up weird at all, and it's on the faster of the two hard drives...

Again, sorry, Wilbur is an open source source software similar to Fractal Terrains and something else developed by Waldronate, whose on these boards. Perhaps another tool to try out.

I hope you figure out GIMP, and it works out for you. There are many pedigree GIMP users here. It is Open Source software, and compared to the paid-for ones its pretty good, but can be buggy at times. Truth tell, I've had problems with PS crashing on my system from time to time, so I don't know if there is any app that is problem free on every person's systems (PCs).

We recently had a monthly challenge to create a map for use as a wide format print, and many of the GIMP users felt that trying to create their style of map at anything above 100 ppi at anything like 24 x 36 was impossible with their limitations of RAM, graphics card and whatever. Which I found shocking, in that all my maps are created with the intention of large format, and my software does not limit me so. I don't use a super-beefed up PC, mine is pretty standard and mapping things work fairly fast.

GIMP has its place, but I don't think its the ideal software for everyone. I hope someone can help you out.

GP

PS: I deleted my first post, since it wasn't helpful
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 04-19-2009 at 07:26 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations