Quote Originally Posted by Turgenev View Post
My wife mentioned about putting all prisoners to sleep in cryogenic pods but I mentioned that the power requirements were too high and expensive and it was cheaper to treat the prisoners as rodents in a cage. I picture this prisoner transport ship as having various security measures set up including gas flooding the cell block rending all unconscious.
Well, you stuff them into prisoner sized boxes, stuff a feeding tube down their throats, a few "collector" vacuum tubes up the needed holes, and provide just enough O2 to keep them from actually dieing. Chill them a little by a heat exchange on their O2 line that goes near a cold side of the hull.

A design I'm planning to use in a computer game, basically if you're not wealthy, the only way to travel is like that, possibly with come tissue stabilizing agents used to keep people from aging. Poor passengers would be handled the same as bulk containers! And be really screwed if someone messes up paperwork and stuffs them in the back of a warehouse for fifty years or so.