View Poll Results: Would you like to map a setting from one of Shakespeare's plays?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea

20 68.97%
  • Nay

9 31.03%

Thread: Settings from the Immortal Bard...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

One of my favorite sayings is "full of sound and fury but signifying nothing". Don't know which work it's from but I'd like to map something more abstract like that.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player,
    That struts and frets upon the stage,
    And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing.
    William Shakespeare, Macbeth, act 5, scene 5

Yeah, I think you're missing out, Ascension, but you're not alone. Many view the archaic language as an obstacle, and it is. (When I went to go see the latest film production of Midsummer's Night Dream I was laughing alone for at least half the jokes.) I don't know of any easy way to overcome it, either.

I would love to see Ravells' map of Midsummer, and Gamerprinter's Castle MacBeth, even if this doesn't become the challenge. Hamlet's castle Elsinore is probably where I would take it (I need to work on my castles). Just food for thought...
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Dude, that's cool. Guess I should work more on my literature knowledge base. Guess I'll have to map The Tempest.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Yeah! Perfect! (A bit of a mirror for your dark and stormy soul, perhaps?)You've chosen one I haven't read. I'd love to see it. There's probably a movie to give you an idea of setting. Shakespeare's complete works list the scene as; A ship at Sea; an island. The synopsis intrigues me, I'll have to read it
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

This is a great idea - and the Baz Luhrman adaptation of Romeo and Juliet means that even the modern day mappers can get in on the act - though of course you do a location as it looks now. The lazy ones amongst us can do the blasted heath (green, green, brown, green, witch, green, brown....)

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    ...the Baz Luhrman adaptation of Romeo and Juliet...
    Totally second this one. I'm a fan of the original works, of course, but this one was just classic. Fair Verona Beach...