View Poll Results: Would you like to map a setting from one of Shakespeare's plays?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yea

20 68.97%
  • Nay

9 31.03%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Settings from the Immortal Bard...

Post Settings from the Immortal Bard...

Timon's Athens, Hamlet's Castle Elsinore, Othello's (or The Merchant's) Venice, maybe even the woods haunted by Titania and Oberon on Misummer's Night. Entries would pick a setting from any of Shakespeare's plays. Plenty of liscence and a range of scales (ok, I'm not sure how many regional scales I could find, but there may be some...). So as not to exclude any less familiar with Shakespeare's works, a list of possible suggestions with varied scales might be included in the Challenge description. Yea, or Nay?
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It's an interesting idea seeing as how there are numerous real life places in his works. If nothing else it serves for inspirational purposes but I kind of like the notion. Of course I've never read anything by him...literature is not my strong suit, but maybe I could find something interesting.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Post MacBeth

I'd do castle MacBeth, since Duncan Irwin the king who is poisoned by MacBeth and Duncan's son who slays MacBeth and his son by the end of the play, were supposedly my ancestors on my grandmother's side.

Of course since the historical period of these events were pre-Norman invasion, Anglo-Saxon Britain I would strive to match the period more than how the play is generally portrayed which is anachronistically hundreds of years later in setting and costume.

If I had such a thing as time to do it, of course!

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 04-23-2009 at 01:17 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Sounds interesting...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

One of my favorite sayings is "full of sound and fury but signifying nothing". Don't know which work it's from but I'd like to map something more abstract like that.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player,
    That struts and frets upon the stage,
    And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing.
    William Shakespeare, Macbeth, act 5, scene 5

Yeah, I think you're missing out, Ascension, but you're not alone. Many view the archaic language as an obstacle, and it is. (When I went to go see the latest film production of Midsummer's Night Dream I was laughing alone for at least half the jokes.) I don't know of any easy way to overcome it, either.

I would love to see Ravells' map of Midsummer, and Gamerprinter's Castle MacBeth, even if this doesn't become the challenge. Hamlet's castle Elsinore is probably where I would take it (I need to work on my castles). Just food for thought...

Dude, that's cool. Guess I should work more on my literature knowledge base. Guess I'll have to map The Tempest.

Yeah! Perfect! (A bit of a mirror for your dark and stormy soul, perhaps?)You've chosen one I haven't read. I'd love to see it. There's probably a movie to give you an idea of setting. Shakespeare's complete works list the scene as; A ship at Sea; an island. The synopsis intrigues me, I'll have to read it

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

This is a great idea - and the Baz Luhrman adaptation of Romeo and Juliet means that even the modern day mappers can get in on the act - though of course you do a location as it looks now. The lazy ones amongst us can do the blasted heath (green, green, brown, green, witch, green, brown....)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast