Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Eneini: a medieval city tutorial (in Photoshop)

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Just bumping this tutorial thread for new guild members...

It has been here for a while, but is worth pointing out!

-Rob A>
    so glad you bumped this, otherwise i would never had seen it

ill have to try it out sometime!
    "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in a rather scornful tone," it means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
    "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many things."

"The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master -- that's all."

-Lewis Carrol: Through the Looking Glass

This tutorial is amazing! I just have to bump it. Thanks alot!

I have gone ahead and stickied this thread so that it will be at the top, but I would strongly recommend that folks use the rating system at the top so that we know that you all feel that a thread is that great. Thanks!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

*animate thread*

Hi all,
    Looks like it has been a long time since anyone posted in this one...so I want to drop in and say thanks for the tutorials! Just finished reading these and am going to try them out tonight. I like the results and method - I truly feared trying to draw all of the little buildings of a big city by hand.

I'm new to this site and to computer mapping in general and think this one will help me with my current project a great deal. Looking forward to reading the rest of the impressive-looking tuts on here and trying out some of the techniques. Thanks again!
    M

[edit]oh, rated and repped![/edit]
    Last edited by mearrin69; 09-05-2009 at 07:26 PM.

Guild Applicant

First of all Thank you very much for your work. I'm very new to GIMP and have not been happy with my drawing with a mouse. I was just reading your tutorial and saw your comments and had an idea which I honestly havben't yet tried out. Anyways have you tried chaning your mouse settings? Slow down the speed of your mouse. I'm hoping it will reduce my twitchy hand and give me more control. By the way I'm responding to your 2007 posting and don't know if someone else has already commented on this.

My thanks to everyone here for sharing and inspiring me.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Gumboot's Avatar

This is a fantastic tutorial. I've been trying to do a few city maps recently, and I think I'll try this tutorial for the next one. Thanks a bunch!

I must say this is working wonders for me.

Post Very Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon View Post
    Okay, friends, as requested I am attaching the first part of my city map tutorial, which shows the process I followed to create Eneini in Photoshop. I hope it helps you in some minor way with your own endeavors!
    Thank you for this excellent tutorial! I use GIMP but it was still invaluable. Just a few hours of work and here is my first city. Warning: it's a 17MB file!

http://www.unicornbacon.com/City%20-%20Levloe%20v03.png

I did find some of the steps near the end of part 2 didn't translate to GIMP, at least I couldn't figure it out. I'm not a GIMP master but I am interested if anyone else has translated them.

Map

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ci4mquf.jpg 
Views:	479 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	59987

This is my first attempt, also done in GIMP. I managed to somewhat translate the layer styles in part 2 such that they worked in GIMP I think.

For the buildings I duplicated the building layer and then added a bevel to it (Filters->Decor->Add Bevel...). I then used the emboss filter (Filters->Distort->Emboss) to add an embossing effect. I then put this layer above the buildings layer and set it's mode to Overlay. I did a similar thing with the walls too.

I live up in the mountains, down in a cave, way out west.
    Blog Entries

This should come in quite handy. Many thanks!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast