Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Veems, Daedir, Iloth - WIP

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You may want to reduce the size of your cobblestone pattern in your roads/streets. Seems a bit big to me.

Coming along nicely nonetheless.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Very nice!
    I agree with Steel General that the cobblestone texture size should be reduced a bit, but it doesn't really bother me. So far there's loads of docks by the way.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like all of the colored roofs, makes it fun to look at.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Well, I still haven't had as much time to dedicate to this as I've wanted lately, but I'm getting it slowly put together. In response to the roads, I've tried several alternatives (reduced sizes of cobble as well as different textures) and nothing really seems to look like what I want it to. I know the cobbles would - by comparison - be huge if looked at literally, but making them smaller just blends the effect together and makes the roads a dull brown. I'll just have to live with them as they are, but I think they strike the general feel I wanted for the streets. I might try other things on them later while I finish touch-ups... we'll see.

Some other things suggested aren't being ignored; such as the light house's shadows and the texture alignments for some of the roofs. I'm just dedicating my time to creating the map first. When I'm done I'll go back over this post and fix little details like those things, so please feel free to keep 'em coming for me.

I've affixed some labels to this update, just to give a feel of the three separate neighborhoods and some various naming conventions (not like they're extremely original, but still...). Thanks to the guys who have commented; I look forward to your further critiques, criticisms and - sea-witches willing - praise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	veems_wip_detail_4.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	786.0 KB 
ID:	12847  

Looking good and a must to follow how it proggress...rep...As the size of this is really big I'm keen on seeing how you are going to make hills etc to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Well, I still haven't had as much time to dedicate to this as I've wanted lately, but I'm getting it slowly put together. In response to the roads, I've tried several alternatives (reduced sizes of cobble as well as different textures) and nothing really seems to look like what I want it to. I know the cobbles would - by comparison - be huge if looked at literally, but making them smaller just blends the effect together and makes the roads a dull brown. I'll just have to live with them as they are, but I think they strike the general feel I wanted for the streets. I might try other things on them later while I finish touch-ups... we'll see.

What cobblestones?

I see flagstones, and they look great!

"The medium is the message." -- Marshall McLuhan

heh... your pretty ambitious. but what youve done so far is awesome, so just keep that energy level up.

as you make the map, how much forethought are you putting into each new section? Is it thought out, semi planned, or off the top of your head?

George, please tell me you are still in business. We need updates
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12