Thread: 4E Dungeons & Dragons - Verdict?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It seems to me that a point is being missed here.

In all that I've read so far, nobody has "whined" about anything. They've stated their opinions and feelings about 4e based on their experience. The whole thing about whether the DM/GM being able to handle the unexpected was never the issue.

The fact that a GM likes to have such "rules" available doesn't make them good or bad, top-notch or bottom of the barrel. It's all about personal tastes. Not just the GM's tastes, but the tastes of the players as well. What makes a good GM, IMHO, is one that does what it takes to keep his/her players involved and attentive to the game. If you have a group of players that prefer to have such "rules" in place and a clear way to determine success or failure, chances are they won't stay in a game under a GM that constantly wings such things. The opposite is true as well, players who prefer to play such "rules" off the cuff aren't likely to stay with a GM who constantly rolls dice to determine success or failure.

The simple fact of the matter is, everyone has different ideas about how such things should be handled. It should be about the story and how you get from page 1 to the final chapter is up to you and your players as long as everyone is happy in the end.

EDIT : Oh, would you look at that, GP pretty much beat me to my point.

GW
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 04-29-2009 at 01:23 PM.
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges