Thread: New World WIP - Eurosivarae

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip

Update Time

Ah, the joys of trying to accomplish something when you don't quite have the resources to do so. Such is the case with my efforts towards plotting out continental drift and action along the major fault lines. I can see it clearly enough in my head, but committing it to paper, so to speak, is proving to be exceptionally tedious. While I may still try to work that out (the committing it to paper portion), I've decided, for the time being to move forward with things.

With a fairly clear image in my head about how I'd like things to look by the time I reach the finished product, I opted to cut back a little bit on the Land Expansion sequence. With just a couple levels cut back, it looks like I'll still have plenty of room to work as far as developing a final version of the elevations.

One thing I wanted to do, however, was open up a few sea lanes while maintaining some of the larger continental junctions. Also, and this is a bit of a pet peeve of mine, I wanted to center the landscape, so to speak. For reasons I can't quite explain (and, perhaps, don't understand), I've never cared for maps that have the land masses wrapped around the edges. Maybe it is the fact that, at least for me, it seems to break the flow of things. So it was off to the cutting board to trim down some of the coastal areas, build up a few islands and shift the perspective a bit to meet my tastes. One thing I am still a bit concerned with at this point is that things still seem to look a bit cluttered. But that could just be me, so I'll wait to see if anyone else feels the same.

All in all, I'm generally happy with the way things are going. I've printed out a few "flat" black and white versions of the world as a whole so that I can sketch in a few ideas as far as large scale details go. For now, though, I think I'm going to take a break from the actual mapping side of this project and do a little astronomy and/or background work just to flesh things out a bit more. That will, I hope, give me a better idea of where my climates are going to go as well as how the population has spread out over the world.

Until next time, here's a peek at the current state of the world.

GW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eurosivarae_Initial_Editing.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	475.5 KB 
ID:	12829  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges