Thread: Mountains for a black & white map ("Spiralia")

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member

Help Mountains for a black & white map ("Spiralia")

Hi,

I'm new here. I've not posted my introduction, but will do soon. Meanwhile, I wanted to ask for a little help with a map that I'm using to practice a lot of things I learnt here. I have only little experience with "graphic affairs", so please bear with me if I say something stupid :-)

This is the map of "Spiralia" (called like that because it vaguely resembles a spiral). To make this map I followed Ascension's "Antique-style maps in Photoshop" tutorial. I've learnt a lot of things, even if I'm using Gimp and not PS; thanks Ascension for that. My map is far, far away from what should have been achieved following the tutorial, but I'm still working on it. Somehow I strayed from Ascension's guidance, and though I like the direction the map is taking, I'm a bit lost.

The original map is 2500x2500, but what I'm posting here is a smaller version (1280x1024, and jpg instead of png). I hope I'm following the proper procedure to present it here (attaching it). If not, please tell me what I should do the next time.

My main concern is the mountains. I don't like too much how they look in Ascension's work (with all due respect), but I don't know how else I could draw them. I like the black & white look of the map, and I would like to draw the mountains in a way that fit. Do you know of any examples that I could follow?

The land was generated using "planet", a tiny program that you can get from here. Everything else was done with Gimp.

Thanks in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spiralia-0.21880-low.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	166.6 KB 
ID:	12961