"Progress" update:

http://www.hexellent.com/files/24/map3.jpg

I enlarged the map title (and now I noticed I also set down the opacity on it by mistake xD ), altered the background color and added heigh parameters on the palette. Note that I'm still only working on the north-west section of the map, so that I won't have to rework the entire globe should I alter my map-scheme. D:

Since Maratha Sahn is essentially contested by two nations, I decided against marking out and coloring large surfaces. A lot of Maratha Sahn's surface is uninhabited, so it's more meaningful to specify the population centers and strategic locations, rather then outlining massive areas of sand as 'theirs' and other tracts of sand as 'those other ones'. So the extent of a faction's presence in any area of the planet is best described by its locations, supply routes and perhaps even air-power radius.

I added some red shapes to sort of implicate a war theater of sorts, but I'm not really sure if it conveys anything meaningful. I might just move away from that scheme, since warfare doesn't work like world war 2 on Maratha Sahn. Legions of troops are constantly on the move, shuttled from battlefields by use of transport Airships. In that regard, I think it's better to perhaps describe deployment capability in some sort of projected area or something.

I'm slightly confused right now, but I guess I'll figure it out. >_> Any input is greatly appreciated though.