Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The City of Opal Island

You made some great additions...
    As for the fields: even with perfect weather and perfect fertilisation, they would not be able to sustain a city this large. Meaning it would be very dependant on import.

Did you already put it in a graveyard somewhere?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Hobbitt Estates, Greater Kansas City Metro Area, Kansas, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    You made some great additions...
    As for the fields: even with perfect weather and perfect fertilisation, they would not be able to sustain a city this large. Meaning it would be very dependant on import.
    Well yeah...thus the docks.

As for a graveyard - I don't know yet. One of the things culturally in this setting is a tendency to burn the dead - thus preventing their rising as undead later on. Although, graveyards do make for cool map features. Since space is highly limited on the island, the thought had also occurred to me of doing a single large mausoleum whose main purpose is as a city-wide burial vault. Not very interesting map-wise, but it could be cool game-wise. Then of course, there is also the catacombs approach.

Which actually brought up the idea of sewers and drainage - up til now I hadn't given that much thought either.

Alas...this project just keeps getting bigger and bigger!

Ok, so the city is very dependant on import. That means it needs a lot of tradeships and also warships, because a blockade would be devastating. I think you need to add a lot of shipyards and drydocks
    They would make some cool features...

Oh, and the forests on the island could be planted... the trees might make great masts and timber for ships. Yada, yada, yada

Also, you might consider adding some windmills on the cliffs (industrialisation for the win!).

And maybe add a fresh water well with a stream that drops into the ocean. Waterfalls are cool, you know
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Here is my latest WIP. I would very much like comments and crits.

For this take I added all kinds of stuff as well as tweaked several areas. I completely redid a couple of city blocks near the docks and wharves. I wasn't too pleased with them prior. Also, I have been cramming more and more buildings in where ever I think they look appropriate with each update.

Gandwarf - I added some fresh water areas with some falls-like features. Not too sure how I feel about it, but its growing on me. I figure that the source of the water for the falls comes from rain collectors and storm drains in the higher elevations of the city. The lone little body of water east of that is just something I was messing with. It could be sewage I guess.

The stuff you mentioned about the forests is cool and all, but this is a fresh water lake that this island sits in. For the life of me - I cannot figure out how to make a windmill at this scale that would be distinguishing enough to show up on the map - but I actually love the idea.

I still have not figured out how/what to do with/about the graveyard thing. Also, I think I am beginning to lose steam - the western side of the island is starting to stump me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Opal Island 11.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	3.64 MB 
ID:	13862  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I've run out of steam on maps before (my Osengaard map for example), usually I can take a break for a few days to "re-load" then get back at it. That doesn't work for everyone and sometimes not even for me

I didn't go back through the thread, but I don't see anything on here such as a fort/military installation. Maybe you could put something like that on the western part of the island. Or you could always put in more farm fields.

I think at this scale a windmill would pretty much look something like a silo, just remember to label them correctly and you should be good to go...

My only nit-pick at this time is the trees out in the middle of the water (j/k)
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Here is the latest update.

I added all kinds of stuff. I am getting pretty close to calling this one done. At least, as far as the actual city lay out and mapping is done. I still want to do a nice border, a label, a compass rose, and a few other odds n ends.

Comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Name:	Opal Island 12.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	3.78 MB 
ID:	13974  

This is one of the best city maps I've ever seen, Katerek. Kudos for the hours and hours you must have spent on it. No suggestions or crits from me, I'm afraid.

Are you going to have a side-bar with descriptions of the buildings you have labelled with numbers?

Just make sure you post the finished version in the 'Finished Maps' forum when you're done (hint, hint).

PS - Would you mind if I use your map as an example in my 'Depiction of Fantasy Cities' ebook? (link in my sig).

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    This is one of the best city maps I've ever seen, Katerek. Kudos for the hours and hours you must have spent on it. No suggestions or crits from me, I'm afraid.

Are you going to have a side-bar with descriptions of the buildings you have labelled with numbers?

Just make sure you post the finished version in the 'Finished Maps' forum when you're done (hint, hint).

PS - Would you mind if I use your map as an example in my 'Depiction of Fantasy Cities' ebook? (link in my sig).
    Wow. Thanks. That is an honor.

Yes - I do intend to sidebar. In fact, I just got through typing up the first draft of it in Word an hour or two ago.

When it's finished, I will definitely post something in the finished maps section.

And yes, by all means, please use it. If it helps someone else, then I am all for it.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Monumental piece of work there dude. I'm sure Ravs has plans for this and I wholeheartedly agree with him (in case he beats me to it).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

This is just a quick update so that you can see where I am going with it. I have started on the border and the other decorative bits.

Let me know what you think - I for one, am getting excited. I am looking at maybe even having this one printed out as a poster map for my campaign.

Name:	Opal Island 13.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	4.11 MB 
ID:	13982  

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast