Thread: Thus-Far Unnamed Village

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Looking good so far Novarri. Are you going to make the final version of the map handdrawn as well or digital? It would be awesome if you did the village entirely in Sketchup btw I have seen some great Sketchup towns and cities.

Anyway, I can't really help you with your question how much farmland would be needed to support the village. Just remember there could also be some trade going on, hunting and gathering.

Some other places of interest you might add:

- Cemetery
    - Inn/tavern (depending if the town sees any traffic, maybe because of the church or the shrine? The church could be a place of worship for surrounding communities. Also, watermills were relatively rare in medieval times, so the mill could also attract a lot of farmers from surrounding communities)
    - Maybe a small shop
    - A place where festivals can take place or where a peddler can set up shop.
    - A well (maybe not necessary because of the river)

Not sure if a small town like this would have a barracks. Do they have fulltime soldiers? Who pays them?
    I wouldn't expect to see a theatre in such a small town either.
    The baker would probably live in the watermill, right?

Oh, a town of 60 souls is really small. Families tended to be large in medieval times. I wouldn't expect more than 10 to 15 houses!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

So not only do you like fortifications, but similarly historical towns are among your interests too! We have something in common

I went to check out what the world knew about trolls and see if I could find a suitable suggestion for the town's name. It appears that these creatures originated from Norse mythology and further on examples are given of actual places that refer to them in their name. A plausible story could be that the cleric named his church Trollkyrka (or -kirke, meaning church in resp. Swedish and Norwegian) when he founded it and as the town grew around it, it became known as this.

The farmland question is something I have recently looked into myself as well and I found some helpful information on this page. There's a lot of interesting stuff written there that could give you some insight. As for structures that you could add, perhaps a type of barrier that is either already finished or one that is visibly under construction?

Am very curious as to how you will develop your story and the map!

Guild Apprentice

As it happens, I've imported this map into Google SketchUp as a flat image and am building buildings directly onto it.

I imagine a lot of the buildings are work-related only, and 60 people is only (I just remembered) the adult population (I used the D&D 3.5 DM guide to randomly generate the population, hahaha).

Lemme see...there's a cemetery next to the church, although what with it being such a new town there're only fifteen or so graves, mostly from the attack that prompted the construction of the barracks. They only have one full-time soldier (but six other "levies" live there as well, although they work on farms). I've got a possible tavern, it's the "market" building on the north edge of the circle. Peddlers and such should be able to set up in the market circle - although, now that I think about it, it needs to be a bit larger. Oh, and the theatre is intended to be a common area, so that any legal issues, entertainment, whatever can be discussed in a public arena.

My concept for the city is that it should seem...almost lazy, very peaceful, and yet extremely well taken care of; at the same time, there should be some amount of tension from the barracks and the nobleman's estate.
    Both of my main programs are free! Find them here:
    SketchUp 7
    Kerkythea
    Note that you need a SketchUp to Kerkythea exporter, which can be found on the Kerkythea website.