Thread: Thus-Far Unnamed Village

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Well, I am very curious to what you are cooking up in Sketchup!

About the work-related buildings: they tended to be a luxury in medieval times. Most peasants and craftsmen worked from their own home. I would expect the common room to be in the tavern. Any legal issues would be addressed in the manor.

But this is a fantasy world of course, so do what you want (I tend to look at the Middle Ages for inspiration and guidance, though).

Out of curiosity: the way you are describing it now, the village sounds really rich. Where did they find the time and money to create such a beautiful place?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm pretty much with Gandwarf on the theatre...the tavern would provide all of the necessary entertainment for such a small, hard-working population. There would be little free time in such a small subsistence village. The tavern itself might have a few rooms on the second floor to serve as the inn. How is the justice carried out, is there a magistrate, justiciar, court or something? I wouldn't expect to see a full-blown market either, these people grow their own food and other things would require a trek to the next town over (if it's bigger). I would expect a small community to basically work like serfs and think going over to the big village to be a grand vacation. Just from the sheer amount of different professions in the village I would think that the population would be at least double of what it is, just to support the day to day needs like roof-thatching and fence-mending and shoe-maker. But, as was said, it's your village, if you want it this way then that's cool too. As to the actual drawing, I think it looks sweet.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps