So, after a bit of a hiatus I finally got my return to fantasy roleplaying, currently with D&D, and for the first time in over a decade getting back in the DM seat.

And as I'm fleshing out the campaign and game world, naturally that means I need maps! So looking around for info on how to make nice looking maps on the computer (I can use a pencil, but only barely =P) I found this place, and being able to get great quality stuff in Photoshop (which I use regularly anyway) is far nicer than trying to learn a new set of mechanical mapping software (I tried my hand at CC3, but it felt a bit too clunky for me).

I've been reading up on a few tutorials since registering last night, most notably the rather lovely Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map although I'm having some troubles translating the early stuff from GIMP to Photoshop, so in the meantime I'm reading other tutorials as well.

Beyond the technical aspects, I also feel I need to read up on the geographical aspects - as in, the patterns to geographical features, dos and don'ts, and all that. I've already read up on the pitfalls of rivers, but since the current starting area involves a semi-isolated area with a swamp and a port on a peninsula bordered off by mountains, I'm trying to figure out if there are any huge problems with that concept before I get too far with the details.