Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A new world map, untitled

Aye, I do it when it's slow. My bosses don't really care what I do in my meager amounts of down time. I handle graphic design, desktop maintenance and repairs and minor IT stuff, plus photography and maintaining our web site, and I'm there 12 hours a day, 5 days a week, so they like to keep me happy

Ascension, I took your advice and basically took a flattened version of the parchment map and played around with it a bit.

I'll be posting it in the Leshan thread shortly.

Thanks
    Last edited by Malakor; 05-17-2009 at 09:43 AM. Reason: me not my :D
    \"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead.\"
    - Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Malakor View Post
    Aye, I do it when it's slow. My bosses don't really care what I do in my meager amounts of down time. I handle graphic design, desktop maintenance and repairs and minor IT stuff, plus photography and maintaining our web site, and I'm there 12 hours a day, 5 days a week, so they like to keep me happy
    LOL... I can imagine they want to keep you happy.

Well, I only work 36 hours a week, which in the Netherlands is fulltime
    60 hours a week sounds really difficult. It leaves a lot less time for private stuff.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Here's where I'm at now. Pay no attention to the notes in white, those are just to remind me to put in some more buttons before calling it done. It looks rather confusing right now because all of the buttons are currently "turned on". I'm in the process of making images for the various combinations of buttons being on/off.

If I get ambitious enough I'd like to make this into some sort of interactive web thingie so that you can click the buttons and see what they do...but I'm not taking any wagers on that since I know diddley about it. I'd also like to make some sort of journal by the various map owners and their notes on what they've discovered and how they have learned to use it and add to it. I was thinking of maybe doing a pdf but I don't know, I'm not the strongest writer and I'd like the pages to be parchment instead of plain old white. Lastly, I need to do up a regional and encounter view to show what the eye sigil can do.

Added a few of the variations; Base, Start, ViewAllTerrain and ViewTerrainAllMana.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1b.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	13397   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MagicMapBase.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	13399   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MagicMapStart.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	13400   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MagicMapViewAllTerrain.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	2.15 MB 
ID:	13401   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MagicMapTerrainAllMana.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	2.25 MB 
ID:	13402  

Last edited by Ascension; 05-17-2009 at 11:13 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Here's a journal page that I'm working on; using the "lorem ipsum" text as a layout guide until I do some writing. The font is Herman Decanus AH, I then put a mask on it and used the pixellate filter (with a setting of 3) four or five times to rough it up

Name:	journal page.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	3.68 MB 
ID:	13431  
    Last edited by Ascension; 05-19-2009 at 01:03 AM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Here's where I'm at now. Pay no attention to the notes in white, those are just to remind me to put in some more buttons before calling it done. It looks rather confusing right now because all of the buttons are currently "turned on". I'm in the process of making images for the various combinations of buttons being on/off.

If I get ambitious enough I'd like to make this into some sort of interactive web thingie so that you can click the buttons and see what they do...but I'm not taking any wagers on that since I know diddley about it. I'd also like to make some sort of journal by the various map owners and their notes on what they've discovered and how they have learned to use it and add to it. I was thinking of maybe doing a pdf but I don't know, I'm not the strongest writer and I'd like the pages to be parchment instead of plain old white. Lastly, I need to do up a regional and encounter view to show what the eye sigil can do.

Added a few of the variations; Base, Start, ViewAllTerrain and ViewTerrainAllMana.
    Flash is your friend then, remember th Earen interactive map i was doing? it would be best for you to do it in flash.

I had thought about that but I can barely do roll-over buttons

You should try this then Cofee Cup Firestarter. Its really easy and i think that it will do what you need just fine .Oh and btw, the map is really awsome.
    "Excess of sorrow laughs. Excess of joy weeps."

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I had thought about that but I can barely do roll-over buttons
    you can try swishmax or i could do it for you, i have free time until next monday after that i wont be able to.

I didn't like how this was coming along, it looks too fake but I can't put my finger on how to fix it (probably the cartoony black stroke and overall dark edges on things but I got tired of trying to fix these). So instead I started just messing around, like I always do, and came up with some variations that looked pretty cool. A copper map, sepia map, and something evil looking.

Name:	magicmap-copper.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	13878   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magicmap-sepia.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	13879   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magicmap-demon.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	13880  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Neat ideas (I especially like the 'copper' one) - for me the issue with the original version was the heavy shadowing under the 'floating' land masses. It works well on these last three but I wonder if reducing the opacity on the previous versions would help. *shrugs*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast