Thread: A new world map, untitled

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm wondering, depending on size, if you might make this into an animated gif/png to enhance the "magic".

I do find the "burn"/dark zones on the 2nd version a bit too much, and it isnt' as pleasing to my eye. The first release is so clear and striking...perhaps a happy medium?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I was thinking more along the lines of Ultima-style gates but with more freedom. Instead of going to a specific spot (gate) you could go anywhere you want. To prevent popping up in the middle of a tree I'm going to put some sigils on the map that have different functions: start (to start the map), view (to see the area where you want to go), go (to go to the spot), off (obvious) and maybe some others that I haven't thought of yet (cuz I don't know what else to add). I'm going to look at some abstract stuff like Egyptian and see what can be used, like maybe a flyover, pan, zoom, find a cave, find a town, find a mountain, find a lake, stuff like that.

As for animation, it's all Greek to me. If I knew the first thing about that then I would certainly go for a lil video with a hand pushing the buttons and maps popping up. The glow effects on the text would also not be there unless "pushed"...they'd be a dark brown. Maybe I should dump the effects in that case and make two maps.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

The whole coastline is so same. Every continent or island has the same shape of coasts. And rivers have same density over the map. All big landmasses have approx same size. But the looks are good, I suppose.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Here's where I'm at today. Lightened up the burn and grunge a little, redid the fonts (making it look like there have been a few translations of an older, original text), made the sigils and stones. I'd like to put in some handwritten notes in the various fonts, maybe a few diagrams, towns with names, roads, country borders, and some important sites with names. Lastly, I want to put in some names of the various magic map's owners and trace out some of their routes, with dates, where they've hopped around the world. So it looks like the hard work is still ahead of me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	2.54 MB 
ID:	13224  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps