Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Worldmap

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Thanks, that really helped

If I have the time zones right, I don't get out of work till about 10pm your time, unfortunately ... but on the weekends I can chat regardless of time zone issues. Send a PM if you like with when would be a good time, and we'll get together.

Ok ... ocean currents, take 3 --

Still obviously simplistic, but I'm going for climate effect rather than shipping lanes for the moment. I gave up on the thermohaline idea once I finally understood thanks to Yoscha's great explanation of the differences between that and normal currents, so this is surface only.

Let me know how this looks, guys, and thanks for all the feedback!

The only thing that I wanted on the world map that I don't have yet, as far as practical info, was climate information. Rather than continue to try to put in climate designations, I've decided to just treat this like one big regional map. The climate will go in as actual deserts, grasslands, etc.

Here I've got the landmasses with the green they'll have around most of their edges, plus the ice caps, and I converted it to a better-looking projection.

Latest update ... changed up the style a bit, and added rivers.

Edit: I cannot get the full-res pic to upload, any suggestions? I got this to upload by passing it through picasa, but it shrinks it, and you lose 80% of the textures >.<

Edit again: Removed lo-res pic after a kind soul pointed out the filesize limit
    Last edited by Gidde; 05-18-2009 at 08:35 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

There are upload limits...4.7 megabytes for file size and for image size it's usually around 4000 x 4000 (supposedly it's like 36 million pixels total in width x height but I find the 4000 square works best).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Aha! I was .2Mb high. I thought I had checked that but apparently I was blind lol. Thanks!

Ok, so here's the good version.

I've been doing a LOT of experimentation with different styles, and I think I got this into the style I was trying for. I was looking for something that looked a little impressionistic, yet with a sense of height as well. Not so sure I like the end product, but at least I think I accomplished what I set out to do.

Also, I took out the rivers for now, as they probably wouldn't be visible at the scale used (10mi/px at the equator).

Comments welcome and appreciated!
    Last edited by Gidde; 06-15-2009 at 10:02 AM.

this is precisely what I am hoping to do for my group's shared world. kudos.

Also in terms of desert placement for climate -- nearly all deserts are found around or on the tropic lines (tropic of cancer/tropic of capricorn). I forget exactly why, I'll have to look it up when I get home and post it because I remember the principles for it only enough to look like a complete idiot trying to state it.

It's mostly because of the... Hadley cells, I think? I'm a little iffy on it, as well, and don't have time to go review it real quick before class.

From what I remember, though, it's caused by the warm, moist air rising at the equator, and by the time it reaches the tropics, it's beginning to cool and fall, which causes it to be able to hold less water, so it loses most of it before it reaches the Tropics.

There are similar convection cells all along the Earth's surface, with drier spots and wetter parts alternating.

-asp

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast