Thread: [WIP] Worldmap

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Thanks! I was sorely needing encouragement about there since I was posting such incredibly ugly stuff, lol.

Starting the clean-up process now, first landmasses. This is (I think) my final coastline.

Incidentally, I stumbled upon a new (to me at least) method of making "random" islands. After I drew a few by hand (which I just don't trust myself to do), I grabbed the "galaxy" brush in gimp, plastered my rough locations for archipelagos with it, then blurred/spread/threshold-alpha'd until it looked like islands.

Then I blurred/spread/threshold-alpha'd the ones I handdrew .... then I blurred (5px) and normal thresholded the whole thing so it was pure black and white, which had the added benefit of smoothing out the jaggies from fractalness and conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    Then I blurred/spread/threshold-alpha'd the ones I handdrew .... then I blurred (5px) and normal thresholded the whole thing so it was pure black and white, which had the added benefit of smoothing out the jaggies from fractalness and conversion.
    I do a lot of that too... glad to see I'm not the only one. I'm not nearly as good at it as you are.

You can oversmooth if you do too much of the blur->threshold work... at least I do a lot. I've had luck correcting it by merging a layer or blurred noise or clouds down on top of my oversmoothed landmasses and applying the threshold filter again.

Also, really nice to see your process. Even if its ugly!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by msa View Post
    I do a lot of that too... glad to see I'm not the only one. I'm not nearly as good at it as you are.
    Yikes! I'd hesitate to call me good at anything at the moment; I'm just learning how to do the stuff and it very well could be a fluke or beginner's luck. Thanks for the tip on how to fix oversmoothing ... I got pretty close to overdoing it a couple times while I was fiddling.