Thread: [WIP] Worldmap

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

This is quite good, so far. The only thing I see that I have major issue is in the ocean current stage. I could be wrong, but I don't know that ocean currents cross truly each other like you have twice in the southern hemisphere.

For the central one, I think the problem is the cold current. It probably wouldn't make it all the way to the equator on that eastern coast. Southern hemisphere currents tend to move counter-clockwise, and Northern hemisphere, clockwise (assuming a planet that rotates similarly to the Earth).

The warm band in the eastern current cross would probably swing northward, along the western edge of that larger continent. Currents don't tend to move in one sinuous, unbroken stream across the equator. You tend to get two separate and opposite currents in opposing hemispheres, from what I've seen.

But then, that's all based on the example of Earth from the viewpoint of a layman. I could be wrong, and even if I'm not, it's still made under the assumption of an Earth-like planet, which this may not be.

-asp

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Aha! I think I see where our disconnect is; thanks for posting that pic. I had always thought the ocean "conveyor belt" was one current, but what it looks like from the map you put up is that in reality the conveyor is just the net effect of all of the various currents that follow the rules you're talking about.

For my purposes, I think the net effect is plenty to be working with .... all the currents on the real current map hurt my brain

Ok ... ocean currents, take 3 --

Still obviously simplistic, but I'm going for climate effect rather than shipping lanes for the moment. I gave up on the thermohaline idea once I finally understood thanks to Yoscha's great explanation of the differences between that and normal currents, so this is surface only.

Let me know how this looks, guys, and thanks for all the feedback!

The only thing that I wanted on the world map that I don't have yet, as far as practical info, was climate information. Rather than continue to try to put in climate designations, I've decided to just treat this like one big regional map. The climate will go in as actual deserts, grasslands, etc.

Here I've got the landmasses with the green they'll have around most of their edges, plus the ice caps, and I converted it to a better-looking projection.

this is precisely what I am hoping to do for my group's shared world. kudos.