Page 10 of 58 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouse vs. tablet

Hi Mad Letter, I've merged your post with this one which should give you more than enough information on tablets!

Cheers

Ravs

MadLetter, it sounds like you are all set. A Wacom Bamboo is indeed the way to go, unless you want to jump into something higher end. Honestly there is no better company than Wacom as far as tablets are concerned. You can check Wikipedia, Consumer Reports, and Amazon to see some of the technologies and reviews of their products to get another opinion, but I couldn't imagine buying from anyone else.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

I know about Wacom having practically the monopoly. I just wanted to ask for further input and if/how good i can work with the bamboo. Do I need any added equipment? What would you recommend, if so?

No added equipment. Just install the driver, plug in the tablet and go. It will take some getting used to as mentioned above, but it is a natural action you've been doing your whole life. You just have to get used to looking elsewhere to see "the ink". You might consider getting the felt tip nibs if you need more of a "feel of pen on paper". The felt tip nibs provided a better friction and prevents some of the sliding that others have trouble with.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

With regards to the Bamboo, be aware that it does not have the ability to sense the angle of the stylus or its rotation, but those settings may still appear in dialogues within Photoshop or other software. I don't have any direct experience with any models of that line--I splurged and bought an Intuos3 for my wife (ostensibly)--so I can't evaluate how good it is, but I am so happy with the Intuos that it makes me glad I got married so I could have an excuse to buy one!
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

That is the most unique reason I've ever heard for getting married.

Thanks for the added info. Question again: If I am into mapping mostly, would it be better if I'd go for the Intuos3 myself? A friend of mine said I should go for the Bamboo because it would take me up to a year or two to wholly adjust and I should not immediately jump on the "Big One".

The thing about angle and rotation of the stylus seem interesting ^^

I would say go for whatever you can afford. The Intuos features are pretty nice, but if you don't use those brush settings for what you do, and don't care about the programmable buttons I would save the money.

To be honest, I've not yet developed the skill to use those features on my Intuos, but I know I will eventually since I'm going into art school now. So far, there's nothing I've done with my tablet that I couldn't have accomplished just as easily for far cheaper by buying the Bamboo.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 10 of 58 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast