Page 12 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouse vs. tablet

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post

As for the freezing issue, I know that it was an issue with the graphire as well but that you could work around it by going in and editing some of the Gimp files. The other option for the graphire was that you go back to an older driver - which is what I ended up doing. That's probably not an option for the Bamboo. As a result I'd guess that there will certainly be a workaround by now for the Bamboo with Gimp. How painful it is, I don't know.
    I have used the Bamboo on two laptops, so I am constantly unplugging the USB tablet. On my old machine, I used to get the freeze ups when lifting the pen from the tablet surface quite often. On my new machine (a more up to date driver), I have seen no such problems. GIMP still "looses" the tablet between runnings of GIMP if I have unplugged it, but even that problem seems to be less than before.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Yes, I couldn't remember a word for hobby so depended on babble fish to translate... Now that you say Zeitvertreib, that sounds more familiar. You would think that after 5 years of learning German I would be better at it, but as they say use it or lose it. I'm glad I was able to give you a chuckle at least. And for the record your English is very good.
    That's pretty darn funny(umm nonsensical) even when you translate it back into English. What WERE you trying to say?
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Based on what I wrote I was trying to say, "Yes, that is not good to try to explain spending that much money for "a hobby", unless you are making money..." or something to that effect... and I realized just now that I was using the wrong word for money. *smacks head* It should have been Geld not Draht. Draht is a telegram I think. Yea, German isn't easy especially when you try to go off memory...
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Based on what I wrote I was trying to say, "Yes, that is not good to try to explain spending that much money for "a hobby", unless you are making money..." or something to that effect... and I realized just now that I was using the wrong word for money. *smacks head* It should have been Geld not Draht. Draht is a telegram I think. Yea, German isn't easy especially when you try to go off memory...

Heh...too funny
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

'Draht' is 'wire'! It's not a synonym for a telegram (which would be also called 'telegram' in german).
    What I find really funny is that 'hobby' is also an ornithological term for a subspecies of falcons.
    Well, I think Babelfish is one of the worst translators ever. I don't know if there are good ones at all, but Babelfish is definitly not among them. A friend from california tried to translate one of the articles on my homebrews Wiki and did send me the translation. It was crazy! And the worst was, that he claimed that Babelfish would be a good translator and thought that the translation was accurate! The program turned my article in a text you would expect of truely cracked up madmen from the Arkham Asylum! Totally senseless and crazy as hell! It took a while to convince him, that I'm not crazy... I guess the program isn't aimed at aiding in communication, but to spread confusion and alienation! The name of it seems to be a hint at this too; Babel is the german name of Babylon, where god "invented" the different languages to separate the peoples from each other! That's exactly what Babelfish does! Okay, I'll stop ranting now and add this to my growing list of conspiracy theories...

Guild Journeyer

I think the problem is it looks at each word in isolation, which means it can get the wrong translation quite easily. I always thought babelfish was from hitchhikers guide to the galaxy while we are on the subject.

(I won't even try my german, it was bad after I finished school 14 years ago so will be awful now, I just about managed to get the taxi driver to get to my hotel a couple of months back when in germany, everybody else spoke english to me!)

JKaen, I guess you're right about the word coming from HGttG, but I like my theory!

Quote Originally Posted by Absinth View Post
    JKaen, I guess you're right about the word coming from HGttG, but I like my theory!
    Well.. your both right. Adams stole the idea for the babelfish directly from the bible when he made up HGttG.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

I was in a shop today and tried a Cintiq tablet! Waaaahhh! This is awesome! Gladly, I made my saving throw, but I don't know how much longer I can resist to go out and spend 960 € on it... *shudder*

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

I've got a question for people owning a tablet.
    Thing is, I've been trying to decide weather to get it, and which one to get and I'm becoming slightly worried about the size of the thing.

Wacom Bamboo One ( A6 Wide 147.6 x 92.3 mm)( pic)
    Seems a bit small, and I am unsure weather it would be enough for my use... I don't plan on doing it professionally or anything like that, just personal use.

Your thoughts?

Page 12 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast