Page 21 of 58 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouse vs. tablet

The pressure sensitivity may be in the pen.

I don't know... that would require pushing on the LCD screen which as previously mentioned is a Bad Thing.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

The product documentation mentions "Perfect brush effect by speed pressure technology" which implies that it's speed cued for pressure. Generally you're applying less pressure as you move the stylus faster. My biggest concern for laptop use would be wearing out the plastic screen cover because they're not designed for that sort of use. You'd need to get some sort of hard surface to cover your screen, I'd think.

I'm not sure if it's capacitance or optically base but it's still a cute little beastie, on par with the projection keyboards for PDAs that were developed some years back.

The batteries would likely be a big expense in the long term.

Since he uses it on a pad a paper, I'm thinking it is optically based. Yea, I agree about the batteries. I continuously look at battery expense now whenever looking at any sort of portable device for both reasons of expense and environmental impact.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Well, from a carpal tunnel point of view I'd stick with the pencil scan...you can never really beat that in my opinion. Once you develop some proficiency with a tablet it's just as good and saves you from having to scan things in and adjust the contrast...more of a time-saver kind of thing there. With the vast amount of custom brushes available for the software there are countless things that you can do with a tablet that you cannot do by hand. So I'd say, get one and be sure to take the time and force yourself to get used to it (they can be kind of quirky at first).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Jerry was a spam bot...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Really? I thought his few posts at least made sense. Oh well.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

The post to this thread was the only one that came close to making sense except for all the typos and then the tell tale links in a "sig block" that wasn't in the signature area, but in the post itself. That is a dead giveaway.

My experience: I have had three Wacoms and none of their pens ever wore out. (The reason I had three is because the first (the first Intuos) was a gift from a friend, but it wasn't a USB tablet. The second was a graphire to bundle in with my laptop--it was OK, but I prefer the Intuoses. And my current tablet is a USB Intuos 3. Oh, and once somebody gave me a crappy no-name tablet that didn't work with mostly everything and which stopped being supported driver-wise after about six months. I used the thing maybe half a dozen times. So yeah, call me a Wacom fangirl.

Now, I did without a tablet for a number of years, so I can paint with a mouse, and will, depending on what I am doing. If I am doing anything that requires a lot of paths, I'm actually much better and quicker with the mouse. I use a mouse when I'm in Illustrator (icons, base shapes for decorative elements) and a tablet for textures, inking, etc.

I know some people who use the tablet for everything except actual keyboard strokes, and they swear by it. (They also swear it reduced their carpal tunnel.)

Professional Artist

Post Wacom goodness

This is a good topic.

I personally swear by my Wacom tablet. I do ALL of my work with it. I first got introduced to one in 1993 during my internship and it was amazing working on 2 screens having a 12" x "18 workspace to draw with. I have since moved to a 6" x 8" Intuos 2 and it has been a champ for 8 years. The tip has never worn or needed to be replaced and this is even a refurbished model.

Granted there are a ton of new features with the new tablets and they are very appealing. The ability to twist the tablet and have the screen react is amazing. The interactive/programmable button are good for shortcuts and often used actions (see the online videos). I have not used these being that I am a quick-key freak in PS. In short, it is an invaluable addition to anyone's workspace.

Page 21 of 58 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast