Page 33 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouse vs. tablet

I think that it's the surface of the pad...changed to make it feel more like paper or something but it wears the nibs quickly. Last I heard, which was a while back, was that Wacom was going to have another surface you could stick on. Seen some folks tape plastic sheets and other things across them. Me? I can spare $15 for nibs every year to keep my Intuos4 looking all black and stylish...with no duct tape and chewing gum holding something to the front of it. My old Intuos(no number) was great though...I don't think I ever changed a nib on it.
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yeah, that's the one I have, that old Intuous, and I've had it for like 9 years and never changed a nib. The surface is so smooth so that's probably why. I think I might get met me a 4 to test out a paper-like surface instead of this smooth surface.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

It definitely has a different feel from older Intuos/Graphire tablets. Also, it comes with several different kinds of nibs. There are six or so plastic ones that sort of feel like the old ones, a couple of rough white ones that feel sort of scratchy, and one with a spring tip that's just a little odd (guess it feels sort of like using a precise version of the eraser end). I forget if there's another one. I think there's one that's black plastic with a white tip...but I might be confusing that with the springy one.
    M

Why not just tape a piece of paper down on your old intuos and see how that feels? Unless that would retard the functioning of the tablet.

If those old Intuos' are still working what are you doing with them? Maybe you want to sell it? Not sure if it's better to get the newer Bamboo Fun whatever it is or buy an older Intuos though.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I have done that several times--taped a picture to my tablet and then traced over it. I didn't like it very much; it gave me the same sort of shivery sensation as licking a Popsicle stick. That may have just been my personal neurosis, though.

I can't speak to the older older Intuoses (Intuosi? Intuoi?), but the Intuos3 is technically superior to the Bamboo Fun, having twice the pressure sensitivity and the ability to sense the tilt of the pen. I don't tend to use the full range of pressure sensitivity, so having that extra resolution is good for me and my relatively light touch. If you have a heavier hand, then you might not notice the difference in sensitivity. As for the tilt... Well, I've never even tried to use that function. Maybe someday I'll do some real painting in Photoshop and it will come in handy. For now, though, I just leave it turned off.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

The old Intuos was nice...the only reason I upgraded was that it was serial-only and I only have USB on my new PC. I gave my old one to a friend and got a new one. I think the original was purchased sometime in 1996, so it was well worth the money. BTW it (and maybe my much newer Graphire) both had lift-up sheets of transparent plastic under which you could place a drawing to be traced.
    M

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yeah - gotta choose tilt for real painting *lol*

I'm installing the bamboo on my mac today - my pc is to slow, so I'll see if the mac will be better - I sure hope so, I need it for the New York map I have brewing in my mind
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I'm with you Tilt, I'm really feeling it for my idea this round as well. I'm thinking about going down to the Fry's Electronics and getting one myself.

Anyone know the difference between the "Bamboo Pen & Touch" and the "Bamboo Fun"? I think it just the free cafe express and Shutterfly webspace? There is about a 100 dollar difference but I don't think the free online stuff matters that much to me.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I bought a Bamboo Pen & Touch and that works great - it has some "suite" attached but I haven't used it for anything - I only use the pen in photoshop and since the mac has touch allready I just use that.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Isn't the difference that the Pen and Touch uses either a pen or an iPod/iPad-like fingertip touch thing whereas the other is pen-only? There are times I wouldn't mind being able to "fingerpaint"
    M

Page 33 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast