Page 43 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouse vs. tablet

I learned to use mine by playing Neverwinter Nights for a couple of hours. Works quite well for that game. I tried it with Civ 4, but even though that's a point-and-click game, for some reason it just didn't work.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Hello,

I thought I'd throw my 2-cents in as well. I have a Genius MousePen tablet. It's pretty good (for it's price) but if you have the money, you should really get a Wacom tablet. You don't need to get the latest and fanciest one though, just get what works for you, as far as price and your need for precision go.

Thanks for all informations...

There is evidently a cheaper Cintiq alternative on the market: FRENDEN • The Yiynova MSP19U Cintiq Alternative Swings for the Fences

That's a link to a blog post by an artist who reviewed it favorably. The Yiynova MSP19U is a 19" 1440 x 900 tablet screen for $570.

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    There is evidently a cheaper Cintiq alternative on the market: The Yiynova MSP19U is a 19" 1440 x 900 tablet screen for $570.
    Midgardsormr, that looks pretty sweet. I'd love a Cintiq but they are so expensive so a cheaper alternative is a good idea! I bought myself an Intuos3 about 4 years ago and have loved tablets ever since! I'd never go back to drawing or doing graphics without a tablet. However, I wouldn't mind upgrading it now though to a new Intuos
    Read the Authors Guide To Drawing Maps. | Visit the Worldbuilding School | or My personal site is Vancano.com

I actually like my Intuos3 better than the 4. Maybe it's just because I'm used to it, but the rougher surface texture of the Intuos4 bothers me. Also, I like the touch strips better than the wheel because I can just tap the top or bottom to scroll or zoom a little bit rather than having to have tight control over my fingertip movement. I haven't tried the Intuos5 yet.

I'm planning on picking up an Intuos5 Medium next month. I've never used a tablet before but I'm excited to learn. $350 (plus extras) is really more than I can afford. But if I buy a cheaper one, like it, then upgrade to this, it will end up costing more in the long run.

I don't think you will regret it OldGuy. I have the Intous5 Large and love drawing on it although I'm not completely sold on navigating with it. In other words, I'm not in love with the whole touch thing. I use the wheel a lot to zoom in and out but other than that I haven't really gotten into the buttons junk. Maybe some of this will come with use and I'll warm to it but for now I just love drawing on it.

I would love a Cintiq and that Chineese entry looks great to me. If I didn't have a tablet already I would try for one. I'm very happy to see someone else get into the market because I also believe the prices are outrageous and there isn't a lot of justification for that seeing as most of the technology in those type of tablets has been around for years. The monopoly being broken would be a good thing imo and I'm sure I'll be getting something along those lines eventually.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I love living in a small town, but I sure do miss the convenience of a large city. I thought I'd like to see an "actual" intuos5 tablet but no one in town stocks them. Staples had a small but I really wanted to get a look at a medium.

Finally, I broke down and went to the local Apple store. I need Windows software, but I'm just looking plus I suspect that the tablet ships with software for both.

Me: Hi. Do you have any Intuos tablets in stock?
    Apple Store Genius: <blink>
    Me: It's a drawing tablet typically used with Photoshop.
    Apple Store Genius: Sorry, we don't carry anything like that.
    Me: <notices Bamboo tablet on shelf behind him> It's Made by Wacom. It's similar to that Bamboo but more powerful. <points>
    Apple Store Genius: <asks a friend> "Do we have a Bamboo Intuos Tablet?"
    Me: /facepalm <backs slowly towards the door>

Bestbuy in Salem (50 miles away) stocks them so maybe tomorrow.

Edit: Just wanted to add that this isn't a slam against Apple, but against unhelpful salespeople anywhere.
    Last edited by OldGuy; 02-13-2013 at 07:30 PM.

They may have them on the shelf but I doubt they'll be able to answer any questions for you. BB in Portland, where I got mine, had to look them up in their inventory system to find where they were. They didn't stock large, but I wanted medium anyway. I got the impression the guy didn't even know what it was.
    M

Page 43 of 58 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast