Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouse vs. tablet

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
    I would like to know if there are any video tutorials for using a tablet. I bought a Wacom Bamboo model CTH-460 when I started my Graphic Design degree classes and have used it to sketch with, but I feel that I'm not using it to it's full potential. Can anybody help me out here?
    Jynx
    Have you already looked through these?
    Video Tutorials | Wacom
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

mikoking

Ok, this thread has been around for quite some time, so I wanted to get an updated opinion on which tablet would be the best suit for cartography now as opposed to eight years up to last year.

Well, I guess it depends on how serious of an artist you are. Wacom is still the best and that's pretty much hands down however there are some competitors recently but I can't speak for them. A lot of hobbyists use the relatively inexpensive Bamboo tablets to very good result. Most professionals I would guess use one of the Wacom Intous line of products. Then you have the Cintiq series but those are really getting pricey. Still, if you want as near to using pencil and paper those are probably the best.

I have an Intous4 that I use when I'm at my desk on my PC and a Cintiq Companion that I take with me everywhere, even sitting in bed I'm fortunate I could afford such things but I did have to save up for both of these and it's taken a few years to get them.

I expect you haven't had any quick replies on this yet because there hasn't been enough change to the industry. I keep wishing for more Wacom competition because that's good for us but so far there hasn't been much.

I do know there have been some good reviews for the Microsoft Surface machines and you can probably use them just fine unless you really want to have the tilt pen settings and all the fancy stuff that comes along with a Wacom product. I think Noah Bradley did a comparison but when I was looking about a year ago the Wacom was still the best...if you could afford it.

And if I'm wrong, please somebody let me know so I can start saving money on my next purchase, LOL.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

mikoking

I believe I am going to get the Intuos Pen first and then upgrade to the Cintiq after funds allow. One question I still have is whether the Cintiq line requires a computer or not. The companion states that you can work without a computer, but the other ones don't specify on their site. Another question I have is if, should I get a tablet so I can draw like I am used to, do I still need a program such as photoshop or (the one I was looking at buying) the campaign cartographer 3.....But then again, if it lets me draw anything my mind sees, then I don't see the purpose of having something with specific layouts which can be limiting when creating complex pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by mikoking View Post
    I believe I am going to get the Intuos Pen first and then upgrade to the Cintiq after funds allow. One question I still have is whether the Cintiq line requires a computer or not. The companion states that you can work without a computer, but the other ones don't specify on their site.
    The main Cintiq line is simply a monitor with a digitizer tablet built-in. So for those, yes, you still need the rest of the computer. The Companion line is a full tablet computer that comes in two varieties: The Windows version has a full Windows OS installed and competes decently with mid-range laptops (though lighter and of better build quality). The Android version is less capable since there is less software available for it, but it can be plugged in to another computer as a monitor, functioning like a regular Cintiq.

Another question I have is if, should I get a tablet so I can draw like I am used to, do I still need a program such as photoshop or (the one I was looking at buying) the campaign cartographer 3.....But then again, if it lets me draw anything my mind sees, then I don't see the purpose of having something with specific layouts which can be limiting when creating complex pieces.
    I believe these days most Wacom tablets come with Autodesk Sketchbook Pro, so if you simply need a sketching application you'll be all set. Photoshop, obviously, works marvelously with a tablet, so I certainly wouldn't discourage you from looking into it, but it is pricey. If you have a limited budget, I recommend the Gimp, since it has most of the features of Photoshop (plus a couple), and it's free. CC3 is a CAD program. As such, it gets no benefit from pressure sensitivity, but I still find it easier to work with a tablet there than a mouse. Maybe that's just because I'm used to it. Anyway, if you're more interested in the drawing experience, I'd say give it a pass for now.

As for me, I'm still quite in love with my obsolete Intuos 2. I use it as my primary input device at work and couldn't get along without it.

edit: Added an opinion about CC3
    Last edited by Midgardsormr; 05-30-2015 at 11:35 PM.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

If you can draw I'd say go with Photoshop, GIMP or one of the other digital canvas type programs. I don't know about CC but I think it'd more of a stamper. There are threads about all the softwares elsewhere on this site.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Guild Novice

Hello! I'd like to purchase a Wacom tablet too, I've recently started to draw maps, and I'd like to add a natural feel to my drawings, without having to scan my paper drawings. I have a A4 scanner, and I'd like to draw by hand for larger formats.

Could anyone explain the difference between the small and medium Wacom versions? does this influence on the precision of the drawing or just the comfort of the hand?

What about the differences between Intuos and Intuos Pro? the pro version seems to have more pressure levels, and more buttons too. I'm not a professional artist and I don't think I'm going to use it for a professional activity, nevertheless I like work well done. is a pro version going to be too complicated to learn, or on the contrary will make life easier? I use mainly photoshop.

and one last question, concerning shortcuts, do you still have to use the keyboard?

Thanks!

Oh I see Wacom have been renaming their range again. =P

The one they call the intuos now seems to be the equivalent of my bamboo which is an entry level wacom tablet but it's still really good. The intuos pro seems to be what the intuos 5 used to be called. They are bigger and also very good. I have a previous iteration of their "pro" tablet (an intuos 4).

Either one is a good tablet and learning to use either of them will be pretty much identical. With the pro you will get a larger surface area to draw on and some programmable buttons you can set keyboard shortcuts to. They also have touch support although neither of my tablets have that so I couldn't tell you how useful it is. Honestly though even with the programmable buttons I still use keyboard shortcuts with my left hand (mainly undo/select all/deselect) while I draw with my right.

Drawing with a tablet will feel pretty mostly the same as drawing with a pen but you should be prepared for a few weeks of your brain getting used to the thing you are drawing appearing on a screen instead of on the surface. It is a bit disorientating at first but that is about how long it took me to get over it.

*oopsedit* The difference between small and medium is the size of the tablet drawing area. Yes, a larger one allows you to be more precise (without having to zoom in on the image). I've found the medium to be pretty optimal for me.
    Last edited by Larb; 08-14-2015 at 08:35 PM.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Sooo, I finally got around buying my first drawing tablet to see if I can push my skills a bit further (or reduce the lack of them ^_^ )

I decided to go with this one: https://store.wacom.com/us/en/product/CTH690AK/

Excitedly waiting for it's delivery!

It'll be a little different when you first start if you aren't used to using a stylus but I think you will find that you love it very quickly and it'll make things better for you. Enjoy and congrats on the new item.

Page 44 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 ... LastLast