Page 9 of 58 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Mouse vs. tablet

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

ya... but this is me we are talking about .... I think GP labeled it as 'scrawl' .... lol

Hm... true... I wonder if there is a 'scrawl' translator? Actually that brings up a good point. On Tablet PCs there is a "teaching" function that allows you to teach the Tablet PC what your scrawl really is. I wonder if there is such a beast for Office... I'll have to check into that later.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

all I can find is OneNote ... allows you to translate handwriting to text .... couldn't find anything in MS word itself... that I'm aware of ...

Just make sure the language bar is on, and set correctly. Word will do it automatically. There isn't anything to turn on.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Hey Del, did you get the handwriting recognition working yet? I thought about it last night trying to think of reasons why it wouldn't work for you and I remembered that Office SP3 broke the handwriting recognition. I have the fix if you think that might be the problem. Otherwise let me know and I can walk you through getting it working.

On a side note, I've been using my tablet at work as I mentioned and I have Vista. If you have Vista and connect a Wacom tablet it opens a whole new way of interacting with the PC. If anyone is interested, I can tell you about it, or better yet you can just give it a try and learn about it yourself.

no i haven't got it to work yet... tried last night, found the language bar.. but, nothing so far.. and i was too tired to try and figure it out...

I have XP and MS office 07 .... my laptop has vista tho... but I prefer to use the pc, but i still couldn't find anything in the knowledgebase about word and tablets... just One Note.. which does work... I tried it out... so if that works .. then MSword should work too.. but I've had problems with word since I installed it.. I called MS when I had trouble with it... oh man.. that was a nightmare.. the guy gets on my computer from where he was at... starts editing the registry ... next thing I know he's not on the phone.. he's not hooked to my pc... and I whole lot of my files are missing... so I call back with my ref #... they can't find it... they don't even have a record of this guy having helped me... man I was so ****ed about that... they couldn't do nothing about it... but I got it working again ... so I might have some MS/XP issues... everytime I shut down Word, it gives me a error.. shuts down and sends a report to MS ... other than that it works fine.

Sorry to ramble... lol it was a long story and I was trying to make it short. anything you can help me out with would be great tho

You're running Office 2007? That has better handwriting support than the previous versions. It sounds to me like you definitely need to remove Office and reinstall.

The way it works for me is I launch Word and then in the language bar I click the handwriting input and select Write Anywhere. With that selected I can then write directly inside Word and it converts as I go. Note that the cursor does not change unfortunately so you'll be writing with the I Beam cursor, but you'll see how it works. That is all there is to it. I actually prefer using it on XP in Office than in Vista because Vista insists on "helping" you by forcing you to use the Tablet PC Input Panel which is a bit more clunky than just writing inside Word, however Vista's translation algorithms are better.

ya... maybe I will reinstall it... I just loathe to run into anymore problems with it... i was happy to get it working in the first place... or... second place actually

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Sounds like ya might need to do a "brain wipe" on your PC... if that guy messed around with the registry and hosed any part of it up, uninstalling and reinstalling will most likely not fix the problem (but its at least worth a try). Had something similar happen to one of my PC's at work.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Question Graphic Tablet for a Cartographer

Hey Folks!

The Question I want to direct towards you is about Graphic Tablets. I have recently celebrated my 24th birthday (6th Sept.) and now would like to buy myself a Graphics Tablet.

I never worked with one, but think it would greatly enhance my abilities in mapping. I'd like to ask you now, if you can recommend a specific tablet (I like Wacom!) which is good for a beginner with mostly mapping ambitions.

I have already one recommendation: The Wacom Bamboo.

So now... you guys have the expirience. Help me out please!

Page 9 of 58 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast