Thread: What is the best software for dealing with tilesets?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

a) zoom options
    b) not brush with one tile at a time
    c) Windows 7
    d) hard-locking grid, so all 16x16 tiles will be evenly laid out, not overlapping
    e) brush the tiles easily (hold the mouse button and drag it for multiple squares, while still being evenly spaced)
    f) change the map size at any time
    g) supports layers
    h) transparency
    i) export image

I write ViewingDale and I will say that it can do a,b,c,d,e,f,h,i

G is a maybe. Theres no direct control of layers in it. If your looking at the icons overlapping in the perspective or isometric view then its unlikely to get the Z order right. Anyway theres a free demo on my site to try. The demo is not exactly set up for the hard grid but you will need to set the grid size, switch it on and set the snap to grid. If you want to detail what you need the layers for then ill let you know if it can do it. If you want a vid demo then I can bosh one up.

Also look at Dundjinni which is a similar stamp tool. DungeonForge sounds similar too. I reckon that MapTool could have a go at this too and BattlegroundsRPG might be able to do this. There's one or two more I could get the names of but I don't know off hand if those don't work. I am obviously less familiar with all of these tools - you will have to get 2nd opinions about them.

Another option is to use a text editor and turn the text into graphics with a script. A bit like this.

EDIT - This movie is closest to what I think you want
    http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/viewingdal...es/Dungeon.avi
    Codec is dodgy tho - use VLC or ill convert if you have hassle.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 05-11-2009 at 06:28 PM.