Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Comparing D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder

looking over the beta book I realy like what they did. I'm still gona get the 3.5 books first and wait till both the main book and the bestiary somes out in September and get them then. Also the price on the sight is $49 US for the book. on Amazon canada its $36 CAN. I'm gona get it from them.

Post If you can find 3.5 books...

Good luck in your attempt to find 3.5 books. The problem here is that WotC stopped production of all 3.5 material in June 2008, and all distributors stopped carrying and distributing those books at that same time. Most game stores have sold out the material and are not dedicated to distributing new books.

While OGL is certainly still valid, and new splat books are still being produced under that license. You can certainly find third party produced material, but not the core books: PH, PH2, DMG, the Monster Manuals.

I know that Cons often have stands offering older publications from previous editions and otherwise "used" material, which is probably your best bet in the hunt for 3.5 core rule books.

I hope you find them, but just a warning that you might not.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Good luck in your attempt to find 3.5 books. The problem here is that WotC stopped production of all 3.5 material in June 2008, and all distributors stopped carrying and distributing those books at that same time. Most game stores have sold out the material and are not dedicated to distributing new books.

While OGL is certainly still valid, and new splat books are still being produced under that license. You can certainly find third party produced material, but not the core books: PH, PH2, DMG, the Monster Manuals.

I know that Cons often have stands offering older publications from previous editions and otherwise "used" material, which is probably your best bet in the hunt for 3.5 core rule books.

I hope you find them, but just a warning that you might not.

GP
    Thats right. This weekend CanGames is on and I hope to get some from there.

Post One more thing...

Aside from being able to find the core 3.5 material, the Pathfinder RPG handbook being officially published in August 2009, will replace 3.5 PH and DMG, so if don't find the core versions, if you can wait, you won't be left out in the cold.

A month ago or so, Paizo offered third party publishers to apply for a Pathfinder Compatibility logo license allowing them to create new subsystems and splat books for the Pathfinder system, including many of the recognized third parties that supported 3.5 core, like Necromancer Games. So many if not most of existing splat books for 3.5 will eventually be replaced by Pathfinder compatible versions - so you will eventually be able to find whatever splats you want to enhance your game (that you may not be able to find at this time.)

Though I've only been a professional cartographer in the RPG industry and never a publisher, I myself am venturing into the world of publishing, in a collaborative work with Dementia 5 Publishing in creating my own setting and adventure arcs, that will be published OGL next month, with intentions of republication in August under Pathfinder compatibility (as D5 is one of the recipient third parties awarded use of that license.)

So I too, will be developing material for Pathfinder. Perhaps some day you could purchase my contribution to that game system!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

So I too, will be developing material for Pathfinder. Perhaps some day you could purchase my contribution to that game system!

GP
    I'd be more than happy to!

Good luck in your attempt to find 3.5 books.
    I thought I'd mention again that you can get virtually all of the 3.5 rules for free at the many d20 system reference documents (SRD) published on the web. Here is my favorite:

http://www.d20srd.org/

Its no replacement for the books, IMO, but at least the rules are still available even if the books are hard to find.

Post Duh

Yeah, thanks MSA - duh, I feel stupid! I didn't think of that in my deep explanation on the subject at hand. The SRD (system resource document) is the core rules for 3.5 and is free everywhere!

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Yeah, thanks MSA - duh, I feel stupid! I didn't think of that in my deep explanation on the subject at hand. The SRD (system resource document) is the core rules for 3.5 and is free everywhere!
    I meant to mention that it does omit a few things. There are no rules for character creation, no experience point tables, and a no rules for small number of monsters that WotC defines as 'product identity' (beholder, giths, mind flayer, etc.. stuff D&D sort of made up).

On the other hand, it does include some books beyond the core 3... namely epic level handbook, deities and demigods, psionics handbook, and some of unearthed arcana.

I know it so well because I switched over to the online SRD entirely when 3 moved to 3.5... I bought the 3 core books when they first came out at $20 a pop and I didn't want to rebuy them for $35 again.

Guild Apprentice

Hi,
    I registred a few days ago after finding a new interest in mapping and must say there is a lot of great work and info here.

Regarding Pathfinder, my group is currently playing Red Hand of Doom and we recently ported it to Pathfinder. Love it! More abilites for the core classes makes it more enjoyable, both for players and GMs. I also like that they have three different tables for when you gain a level, so you can choose on that fits the pace of your campaign. Others here have mentioned a lot already and it's definitely worth checking out I think.

I've bought the Pathfinder Campaign Setting, and it's absolutely great. Lots of fluff and maps and good stuff.

-Leonal
    Last edited by Leonal; 05-19-2009 at 12:20 PM.

Post Pathfinder SRD site

I know this isn't specifically map related but I wanted to let people know about a new Pathfinder SRD site I started at http://www.d20pfsrd.com. There's also a Google Group at http://groups.google.com/group/d20pfsrd

Join if you want to receive messages about updates to the site or if you would like to comment or make suggestions regarding the site etc.

I'm also looking for contributors so if you have free time, it's really easy. You don't have to be a webmaster or know any html or web design to help since its on a Google Site.

I'm also interested in making any maps anyone would like to share available for download.

Let me know at jreyst@gmail.com if you want to contribute either help on the site or maps for downloads.

Thanks!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast