Thread: Continent of Rhime

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer

Thanks for all the compliments AND critiques. I read it all.

@ Palehorse - I think your right about the colours, this map was more about getting the mechanics down and i just kinda winged the palette as i went and went heavy on the experimenting. I will "tone it down alittle" and repost. The Ocean was just a test too, i plan on cutting out the land and pasting it on the world map later. Thank you palehorse for the time to write such a informative critique. The colour palette is something I will definatly take some time to refine both for the map AND the labeling. I plan on switching from the "modern" icon to a "cluster of buildings" symbols for towns and they will totally get lost with the map as it is. I was inspired originally by the "blue marble" concept of the mass-resolution satellite pictures, but they only work do to the absolute clarity.

@ Ramah I think it might be the limits of the technique (greyscale height map, bumpmap filter, set layer to value, texture) I have been trying to get the mountains to pop out more for a few map attempts now. You can only contrast the dark and light areas so much. I cant created any more actual Height, as its from GIMPs Bumpmap/Emboss script using a full black to pure white (in other words totally contrasted out) grayscale height map.

I forgot originally too the texture is ON TOP of the bump map, as since i set the bumpmap layer to value (to let the colours of the land gradient come through where there is no texture) If i put the texture layer under the bumpmap the value setting messes up the colouring of the Texture. This plus a layer of white snow as this is a "northerly" map is what has totaly flattened out the map. My next map will be a big test for me as it is less mountainous, WAY more open plains, and thus I really want my mountains to pop. I have gathered a few ideas so far. Time to get on it i guess!

@ Ironmetal - Thats quite the compliment as i believe you mentioned that in another thread as one of your all time favorite maps, Thanks!

Here is the world "sketch" so you can see that Big map is actually a very small place (the size of england) so dont worry... i am going to be around listening, posting, and learning for a while....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Build.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	13575