Thread: Newbie and loving this place

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks. I do want my maps to be more realistic looking. Rivers are my BANE! For the contours of this piece I copied parts of the coastlines of several countries, pieced them together as I liked them. Then for the mountains, grasslands, and forests I just sort of went with the "flow." I knew I wanted the southern coast mountainous, and the rest sort of filled itself in. Except for the stupid rivers. I hate rivers. lol

Thanks, now I know who to pester on here!

The unnaturalness is probably due to the coastlines coming from a few different real areas. That hand is actually part of Antarctica. Some the other pieces come from Canada, Russia, and Greenland.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Rivers get a lot of discussion here but here's some basic tips: think of the river like a tree and put the trunk on the coast and the branches in the mountains, rivers don't split as they head toward the coast (except for lil islands and deltas) they join together, on flat ground they meander and loop and generally look more squiggly than up in the mountains where they run faster and straighter. Once you start looking through some of the finished maps you'll have a much clearer picture in your head to go by.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Hi Krome. Welcome to the Guild.

Rivers are the bane of many, but have no fear, The Guild is here to help. We have Official River Police (check out the badge under Ascension's Avatar), and many unofficial ones who are very knowledgeable as well. Be sure to check out RedRobes tut in the tutorials forum on River Placement, found here http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...iver+Placement
    (Don't forget to hit the little scales under his avatar in thanks.)

It seems I have been neglecting the thread by Midgardsormr on Rivers here http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...ghlight=rivers

It's also possible I've been neglecting others as well. Any other members have more threads to add?

btw Nice Map,
    Last edited by Feralspirit; 05-20-2009 at 12:17 AM.
    Doubt is an unpleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire