Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something to kill an afternoon

Hey, Nice map.

I just wanted to thank you for all your mapping vids.

Have some rep.

Sigurd

Dollhouse Syndrome = The temptation to turn a map into a picture, obscuring the goal of the image with the appeal of cute, or simply available, parts. Maps have clarity through simplification.

--- Sigurd

Professional Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Hey, Nice map.

I just wanted to thank you for all your mapping vids.
    Thanks! I'd really like to do more, but they're so freakin' time consuming, mostly because I'm pretty anal retentive about that sort of thing and spend entirely too much time trying to get it just right.

I've been kicking around the idea of doing more of them, but this time as a live show on Ustream or something similar, mostly just to keep myself from editing it to death!
    Butch Curry
    Zombie Nirvana Games
    http://www.zombienirvana.com

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If you do that I'll certainly watch if you post up a time and link here.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by palehorse View Post
    Thanks! I'd really like to do more, but they're so freakin' time consuming, mostly because I'm pretty anal retentive about that sort of thing and spend entirely too much time trying to get it just right.

I've been kicking around the idea of doing more of them, but this time as a live show on Ustream or something similar, mostly just to keep myself from editing it to death!
    I'd certainly be interested in seeing them. I really enjoyed learning from the first ones you did; I was looking for information about the book the other day. Is that still in the works, or ...?
    -÷-÷-÷-÷-÷-÷
    “It is not down in any map; true places never are.” (Herman Melville)

“A good map is both a useful tool and a magic carpet to far away places." (unknown)

It's always fun to break out the traditional media. There's something satisfyingly tactile about it. (One of my favourites is tearing off the masking tape of watercolours to see the crisp edges.)

I dig the colours you used, although like StillCypher above, the edges seem a little quilted. Perhaps if you knew what colours you were planning on using, you could use ink in that colour, or outline using a dark watercolour green or blue. I think it would soften the effect a little. Still nice work, and it's always lovely to see people working in traditional media.

Professional Artist

Quote Originally Posted by StillCypher View Post
    I'd certainly be interested in seeing them. I really enjoyed learning from the first ones you did; I was looking for information about the book the other day. Is that still in the works, or ...?
    As soon as I figure that out I'll let you know! Seriously, though, after giving it more thought, I'd really prefer to do it as an instructional DVD rather than a book. After doing all those podcasts I came to realize how much easier it is to teach some of this stuff when you can show what you're doing and talk about it at the same time!

There's an art instructional series that I'm very fond of, The Structure of Man, that started out as a free series of videos on YouTube. When he was done with them, he pulled them all down (well, sort of... they're all still up there, but it's just the first minute or so of each one, just enough to preview them) and bundled them together on DVD. So that's something I might look at doing. It's still very much up in the air, though.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelFish View Post
    It's always fun to break out the traditional media. There's something satisfyingly tactile about it. (One of my favourites is tearing off the masking tape of watercolours to see the crisp edges.)
    As you can see from the making-of pictures over at my site, I'm obviously very lazy when it comes to that sort of thing! I just assumed I'd be cropping it down later in Photoshop anyway! :p

I dig the colours you used, although like StillCypher above, the edges seem a little quilted. Perhaps if you knew what colours you were planning on using, you could use ink in that colour, or outline using a dark watercolour green or blue. I think it would soften the effect a little. Still nice work, and it's always lovely to see people working in traditional media.
    I was mostly just trying to cover up how crappily I'd blended the darker colored water around the coastline. I thought about adding in some woodcut style squiggle lines but I pretty quickly abandoned that idea as being too time consuming for this particular project. I'd do it by hand if someone were paying me to do it, but for something that was just going to get stuck into a file folder til I might have some use for it, quilty waves had to do.
    Butch Curry
    Zombie Nirvana Games
    http://www.zombienirvana.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12