Thread: Outline buildings in photoshop

Guild Novice

Question Outline buildings in photoshop

This may sound stupid, but is there a way I can trace certain things faster, using a tool in photoshop. I'm creating the buildings for this city i'm creating, and I trace the outline of the white shape that will make the building, but it is a real pain to do so because of the great amount of buildings. Maybe if you took a look at the city of Greyhawk and notice how the buildings are outline with black. I'm using the pencil tool and I don't have a graphics tablet; so you can imagine. If any one can give me a pointer or two, I would appreciate it alot!

It depends on how your buildings were drawn. The simplest way is to have all of your buildings on a single layer by themselves, with everything that isn't a building being transparent on that layer. You can use the Layer Effects to add a stroke to the layer, and that will outline all the buildings at once.

Another approach is to select all the buildings, either by Ctrl-clicking their icon in the layers palette (the icon itself—clicking the layer name won't do it), or using the Magic Wand tool (W) (shift-clicking will add each new area to the selection instead of replacing the selection), or using Select by Color in the Select menu. Once you have "marching ants" around all your buildings, make sure you have a selection tool active (M for marquee is what I usually use), and right-click in your work area. Choose "Stroke Selection," and all of your selections will get an outline with the current foreground color.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Novice

Thank you very much sir.