Hi all,

I'm very new to the forums, and also very very new to trying to map things using computer software. I've done simple hand-drawn maps using ye olde pen and paper, but now, as I find myself prepping to run a sci-fi campaign I find myself in need of computer options.

I'm creating a planet for some friends to use in a Warhammer 40k campaign, and I'm struggling with the drawing of the map. I have sketches on paper, but I need a digital format for the following reasons:
1. Needs to be quickly and easily editable as I will be tracking the movements of their troops
2. I need to be able to easily hide and reveal map information
3. We're operating the "overworld" section of the campaign through digital means (email, chat, etc.)

So that's what brought me here. I tried a few Googley searches for sci-fi terrain tilesets and an editor in which to use them, but had no success. A member over at the other forum where I post a lot (www.yog-sothoth.com) suggested this site, so here I am!

I've browsed the tutorials section a little, but if you have any suggestions for absolute must-reads on how to draw using a computer and mouse (I'm hesitant to shill out the $50+ for a tablet at this point, since I don't know how much I'd use it) please let me know.

Also - I've downloaded GIMP, but have only dabbled mildly, so I'm in need of basic "how to use the damn thing" tutorials as well.

Thanks!!