Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Map Peeves and Common Errors

Quote Originally Posted by Lwaxana View Post
    On maps for buildings, it's the lack of a toilet, even in some modern settings. I can see why in some fantasy settings you'd have an outhouse, but otherwise it is just a silly oversight.
    I read a fantasy romance a few years back where they had a map of the magical fortress where the riders-of-large-enchanted-beasts lived. And they of course, made sure to point out the rooms of the Heroine. And her rooms were proportionately frikkin' huge. Like 1/10th of the space, even though there were lots of other people that did what she did. And furthermore, while there was a great hall, and one set of stables, there were no kitchens, no servants quarters, no auxiliary buildings at all. Just, you know, a courtyard and a main hall and some quarters for major characters. Not even a garderobe.

(I heartily recommend David Macaulay's Castle, Pyramid, City, Underground and Cathedral books. They are very maplike in some ways, and show the logistics behind these structures.)

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by PixelFish View Post
    I read a fantasy romance a few years back where they had a map of the magical fortress where the riders-of-large-enchanted-beasts lived. And they of course, made sure to point out the rooms of the Heroine. And her rooms were proportionately frikkin' huge. Like 1/10th of the space, even though there were lots of other people that did what she did. And furthermore, while there was a great hall, and one set of stables, there were no kitchens, no servants quarters, no auxiliary buildings at all. Just, you know, a courtyard and a main hall and some quarters for major characters. Not even a garderobe.
    Haha, that's priceless. I don't know what these people are thinking (probably nothing). I'm sure the bathroom and kitchens are all where the servants live - 5 miles down the road. Would be too bad if all the smells disturb the heroes. Who cares if the food will get cold

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12